2002 Focus P0171- vacuum leak?

Old 12-06-09, 12:27 PM
2002 Focus P0171- vacuum leak?

Ford 2002 Ford Focus SE - P0171 trouble code, have cleaned MAF sensor. Cleared code came back. Tracking vacuum hoses looking for a leak as other sites have indicated, followed vacuum hose that come from intake manifold to a "thing". It is appers to have a vacuum leak but when i put my finger over it is seems to have a hole on it, like it is supposed to be there, not sure what it is, thus i called it "a thing". I can hear the vacuum while the engine is running and it dissipates quickly through the hole "in the thing" when the engine is shut off. It is located on the back of the engine very near the fire wall in the center of the engine compartment.

My thought was that what ever the "thing" is, may have been something to dissipate the vacuum when the engine is turned off but is supposed to close when engine is on. Just grasping at straws.

I am handy but by no means a mechanic and just trying to get into cars and understand how they work so any help or pointing me in the right direction would be appreciated.

Thank you.

Sponsored Links
Old 12-06-09, 02:50 PM
any chance of posting a photo of what you are looking at ?

Old 12-11-09, 04:22 PM
if it is sucking air and the air it is sucking is going right to the engine without going through a filter of some sort, it probably shouldn't be doing that. This would be unmetered air and will throw a V-leak code. Can you remove the part easily? I'd take it off and bring it to ford and get a new one. Could also try to tape the hole over and see what happens.

Old 12-12-09, 05:44 AM
Group Moderator
Check for a vacuum diagram under the hood for a clue?