Engine won't warm up

Old 12-07-09, 07:50 AM
Received 2 Votes on 2 Posts
Engine won't warm up

I have a 92' Ford Ranger XLT with 2.9 V6. It's always something with this truck. I guess this is to be expected with a 17 year old vehicle. Now the engine temp won't warm up. Here are the facts:

1. At cruising speed I only got it up to 152 degrees this morning. After I make stops running errands or drive in city traffic it increases to 180 and 160 degrees respectively

2. Double checked to make sure I didn't install themostat upside down.

3. Put thermostat in pan of boiling water and watched it open and then close after taken out of water

4. After installing thermostat "burped" engine for 25 minutes to purge any air bubbles from system.

5. checked with auto parts store twice to make sure I purchased correct one for make/model.

6. After running engine, upper radiator hose is hot and lower hose is luke warm.

7. radiator flushed twice since purchased new in June 2008

8. heater core replaced this summer

What's the problem here? Mechanic told me to drive with cardboard in front of radiator to see what happens.

Sponsored Links
Old 12-07-09, 09:01 AM
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
To me it still sounds like a thermostat... What temp is the stat?? What temp was the water @ when it started to open in the pan?? I like to use OEM stuff when it comes to 'stats & plugs & stuff... Around here the aftermarket stuff seems to give me trouble @ times.... You may need to pull it & test it again,, Roger

Old 12-07-09, 09:13 AM
It's a 192 degree T-stat. I didn't test temp of boiling water. I just noticed T-stat valve opened when it started boiling. Isn't boiling at 212 degrees? Could this be the coolant temp sender? The mechanic I go to doesn't seem to think so

Old 12-07-09, 09:18 AM
Super Moderator
Just wondering...has it done this ever since the rad was replaced?

No mechanic...but it seems like the upper is the return to the rad, and the lower goes to the engine?

Reason I asked is poss the rad is oversized (more fins/rows)?

Old 12-07-09, 09:31 AM
The thermostat should control the MINIMUM operating temp of the engine.. I think your mechanic is right about the sensor,, it's got nothing to do with the heat coming out of the heater... Pull the 'stat & try the pot of water thing again with a thermometer..Start with the stat suspended in cold water.. Record the temp it starts to open & the temp it's fully open... I think you'll find it opens @ a really low temp,,, Roger

Old 12-07-09, 10:03 AM
To answer your questions. It has always run cool since radiator and engine replaced in June 2008. But not like this. Good question gunguy, but it is standard radiator, not oversize. The stat didn't even begin to open till it boiled.

Old 12-07-09, 10:18 AM
Super Moderator
Ok...it was just a guess...here's another ???

Since it ran cool..do you have a/c? What kind of water pump is on it? I had that problem way back when when I installed the wrong pump A/C vs Non A/C or vice versa...don't remember exactly from 30 yrs ago..lol.

Not to interfere with hopkins troubleshooting procedures...I mean..the thermo is what should regulate temps...gotta verify that.

Old 12-07-09, 10:26 AM
I have A/C. But it doesn't work sonce the compressor leaks. As far as I know, just a standard water pump that came new with the remanufactured engine

Old 12-07-09, 10:34 AM
Super Moderator
Ok...shoulda looked first...doesn't look like they used a different pump. Strange that a 92 Ranger w/ a 2.9 is so much different from a 67 GTO w/a 400....lol

Old 12-07-09, 11:11 AM
I was checking out the whole cooling system, so I did look at the water pump. It's seems to fit the engine casting and it doesn't look oversize.

But you know what, gunguy. Who knows? You might have something there. I'll look closer today at the dimensions of the water pump. Maybe I have a higher capacity water pump.

Am I ok to drive locally? I hear that it's not good for an engine to run cold.

Old 12-07-09, 11:40 AM
Super Moderator
Sorry...I wasn't clear on my last post....I meant I only saw one replacement pump for that engine at a couple of part sites......no.... w A/C or w/o A/C or AT vs MT....

Some cars used to and may still use diff pumps. Kinda like the size of the Rad or Alternator when you get a tow package..that sort of thing. It appears yours doesn't.

Old 12-07-09, 12:19 PM
Ok, I understand what you are saying now. I just went out to the parking lot and looked at the water pump for ****s and giggles. Dimensions and size look ok.

Old 12-07-09, 12:59 PM
Are there any other signs of it running at those temps?
How is the heater temp.
Just wondering how accurate the gauge is.

Old 12-08-09, 06:55 AM
Heater works ok. I blocked off about 45% of the radiator this morning. The left side. In cold weather at 55 mph I got an extra 10 degrees on the coolant temp gauge. I have auto meter gauages which are supposed to be very good.

Old 12-11-09, 05:46 PM
What kind of cooling fan is in the car? Some of them are controlled by the temp coming through the rad. I'm thinking you have a fixed speed fan when you should have a variable speed setup.

Old 12-12-09, 06:34 PM
Auto meter gauges are very good. Are they mechanical or electrical? I too would check to see how accurate the gauge is.