I have a STRANGE problem, don't know where to place it...

Old 12-07-09, 07:34 AM
I have a STRANGE problem, don't know where to place it...

(2004 Mazda3s Hatchback)

I turn on my car, doesn't sound weird at all.

If I stop DEAD, and accelerate and make a RIGHT turn, the car 'chugs' and make weird noises. As soon as I straighten the wheel out, it goes away. If I make a left turn, it doesn't happen. I thought it might be something stuck in the wheel well, but it's not. I'm kind of out of ideas but I appreciate any help you guys may be able to give. It's not a suspension thing, it's definitely from the engine bay. It makes noise when I'm in gear, not while in neutral or park.

Thanks, really need some help here!

Sponsored Links
Old 12-07-09, 09:30 AM
may be a wheel bearing?
without having the vehicle to drive-not much of an answer i can offer.

Old 12-07-09, 12:16 PM
What your describing doesnt really sound familiar in any of my encounters with Mazda..Just another guess is a broken motor mount allowing the engine to shift??? May be worth the minimum charge to get a dealer to road test it & give you their opinion... They can also check for service bullitens &/or recalls when they have it,,, may save some aggrivation... Roger

Old 12-07-09, 08:15 PM
Wheel bearing. Since you say it only happens when you accelerate while turning. Is my guess.
A done for cv-joint would pop and grind at any cornering speed.

Old 12-09-09, 10:15 AM
I just re-read your post after replying a couple days ago.
Are you still having this problem?

If so then getting any useful feedback from this forum may depend on some clarification.
What does the noise sound like?
Is it a hissing /humming noise, (power steering)or more like a scraping/rumbling metallic noise? (wheel bearing)
Reason for the reply is that I just can't understand why a vehicle would actually experience "chugging" only under the condition that you described!
Maybe... think about possible power steering problems. Power steering assist is obviousely powered by your engine. Right? So... if there is an issue with that, then it could explain the lack of consistent power transfer.
But the usefulness of any advice you seek .. not to sound too redundant... depends largely on you to at least basically categorize the noise you are hearing.
For now all I can say is that you're right when you say that it's a strange problem!

Old 12-09-09, 10:21 AM
nap
the only thing I can think of that would be affected in the situation you speak of would be a CV joint. It will not make a "chug" noise but a hard "click-click-click" sound.

define the sound better.

and yes, if you are describing the "chug" as the car appears to be faced with an intermittent resistance, that is exactly what a bad CV joint will do as it binds and then pops free.

If this is what it is, drive very gently when turning. Do not turn as sharply and do not attempt to accelerate hard. The next step is the CV joint actually breaks and then the car stops moving (unless it is on the back of a tow truck)

Old 12-09-09, 10:38 AM
Yeah that would be the more direct answer come to think of it.. Thanks nap.

Search this Thread