99 pathfinder oil leak

Old 12-09-09, 03:24 PM
99 pathfinder oil leak

hello. my 99 pathfinder was making a horrible racket when i would engage and disengage the fan/heating and/or cooling. all of the sudden the noise stopped and there is now a pretty significant oil leak. what do you think?

Sponsored Links
Old 12-09-09, 04:53 PM
I don't know what to think as the heater shouldn't cause oil leaks unless the A/C compressor blew up & refrigerent oil is running out... Where is the leak,, front, rear,, left.. right.. What does the oil look like,, red, black, clear?? A little more info would go a long way,,, Roger

Old 12-09-09, 06:01 PM
sorry but not much more info. the oil is essentially the color of the engine oil, which is pretty dark, no red tint or anything that would suggest it is anything other than engine oil. and the the oil isall over theplace which makes it hard to determine the exact location of the leak. so right, left, front rear, are indeterminable. it happens when running and when not running. engine oil light has not yet come on. temp. is normal. heating and cooling work normal.

Old 12-09-09, 11:17 PM
You may need a can or 2 of engine shampoo to wash everything off if it looks like it's everywhere,,, Don't wait till the oil light comes on as that means you have no oil pressure,,,Wash everything & watch the engine as it runs to find the leak.. You said it made noises with the heater turned on in the first post, but now you say it works OK,,, Can you verify that ??? Roger

Old 12-10-09, 04:08 AM
true. the heating and cooling system work fine without any noise. the noise it created i can only describe as bearing noise. it was inconsistent, intermittent, and simplu sounded like bearings inside a unit that was faulty, out of round or damaged.

Search this Thread