manual

Old 12-10-09, 12:42 PM
manual

Hello
I follow the manual not the dealer for maintenance scheduling at first thought I really only had to change oil/filter and air filter and a few odds + ends till about 40K.
I have a couple of quick questions so I can better plan;
1- does a car with an automatic transmission need to bother with a differential and fluid checks? I always thought the gearbox or differential was in the rear housing of the older cars and transferred energy from the drive shaft to the rear axle. I ask 'cause threse new cars are very new to me and it mentions checking and changing the differential fluid in the same breath with automatics.
2- The book says to retorque the drive shaft bolt every 15K and under traffic/dust every 5K.
This seems like a touchy item and I hate to go to the dealer just b/c of it. Opinions?
3-If I use a wrench at all to tighten the oil filter how many foot lbs would the torque wrench be set to.
I am older and have trouble getting it on tight enough.
I know the wrench is to take one off not on but sometimes I needed to snug it on a bit.
Long for the 40's + fifties; more to do but able to do it.
Thank you

Sponsored Links
Old 12-10-09, 01:27 PM
nap
rear drive cars: differential in the rear and should be checked occasionally

front drive car; diff in front and most cars use common fluid supply for trans and diff.

what kind of car do you have?

tightening the filter.

I have no idea how tight (torque) you would need to tighten it but if using a wrench, you would still spin to contact and then tighten as directed, generally about 1/2 turn.

Obviously, after starting the engine and pressure rises, check for leaks.

retorquing a drive shaft bolt? Never heard it recommended before. what kind of car do you drive again?

and is your car an auto or manual trans; 2 wheel, 4 wheel, or all wheel drive?

Old 12-11-09, 10:55 AM
Toyota Corolla 2007 automatic front wheel drive

I wrote a nice reply but the software is problematic and the whole message disappeared..
I'll try breifly as I would like your advice about maintenance.
If I get cut off i hope some of thid goes through.
If the dealer is too expensive and the "schedule maintenance book is using terms like retorqing the drive shaft bolt etc how can you set up a schedule of work to be done and when?

Old 12-31-09, 09:38 AM
nap
did we lose you on this one peterr? I replied on a subsequent thread of yours so I presume you have your computer or internet problem fixed.

Old 12-31-09, 10:31 AM
McAfee

Originally Posted by nap View Post
did we lose you on this one peterr? I replied on a subsequent thread of yours so I presume you have your computer or internet problem fixed.
I am sorry;sometimes when you are typing, McAfee is downloading an update and it causes troubles. I should change it to 'ask before installing'.
I don't blame you because I can hardly understand my own post.
What I was geitting at was the Toyota manual says to 'retorque the driveshaft bolt' every 15 k miles.
When I call the dealer they are vague about it. I tried faxing Toyota Corp to clarify or to help but there is no response.
I hate going to the dealer but don't want to miss out on an important maintenance.
That's about it and i hope this is clearer than the last post.

Old 12-31-09, 12:16 PM
nap
I never figured out what kind of car this is?

If it is front wheel drive only, I would guess it is the axle nut that you can see when you remove the center cap for the wheel but I have never seen one that recommended retorquing.

So. let's start with what kind of car you have; make, model, year, front wheel, all wheel, or 4 wheel drive and I will see what I can find from there.

Old 01-01-10, 08:14 AM
re-torque drive shaft bolt

Hi
I have a 2007 Toyota Corolla LE front wheel drive with 22,400 miles on it.
The subject above is the term you are supposed to get done at 22,500.
Thank you

Old 01-01-10, 10:26 AM
nap
well, still have not come up with a definitive answer but I did find this website that tells you the maintenance items at each specified interval:

Toyota Parts and Service

the also have a maintenance definitions button at the bottom of that screen that might help you with some of you questions.

I noticed they recommended tightening all nuts and bolts on the chassis at just about every maintenance interval. I really think they are just trying to set things up to be able to deny a warranty claim or maybe even greater, liability in a law suit, should anything out of the ordinary happen to one of their cars.

the one big problem I have with "tightening drive shaft bolt" is, there is no drive shaft bolt I am aware of. There is a nut on the end of the drive shaft but that is different than a "bolt" and their lack of an accurate definition could be problematic if they are trying to avoid laibility.

I'll keep checking, peterr, and see what else I can find.

Old 01-01-10, 11:02 AM
mechanic

HI
I was thinking of taking it to a person who has a repair station and asking him what he thinks.
I don't know if he is certified and all but has been doing business for a long time and does all kinds of repairs.
It is either that or tell the dealer to do the re-torquing for $37.00 while getting the oil changed.
Decisions are ez when you have all the facts, aren't they.
I am on the fence about this one.

Old 01-01-10, 11:34 AM
Super Moderator
Same discussion here....2007 Corolla "drive shaft bolt" - FixYa

In fact of the 10 or so sites I visited that had this question..there was no solid answer except one. He said they had changed from a castelated nut and cotter pin to a "crimped" nut and that there was no requirement for any retorque. Another poster..supposedly a tech said there was no requirement since the nut didn't affect the bearing preload like the front spindles on a RWD vehicle.

Old 01-01-10, 12:41 PM
nap
I have worked on cars since I was a wee child and have never heard anybody recommend re-torquing the axle nut. While saying that, I can see where re-torquing that nut at the first or second maintenance interval might be suggested due to the slight taper of the axle shaft. If there were any burrs on the shaft that prevented it from pulling fully into the hub, a few miles would allow it to seat further into the hub.

As gunguy stated, the bearing preload in not of concern as the bearings are not the type that requires a pre-load but the axle shaft seating completely would be affected. Heck, maybe Toyota had a problem with the metal being too soft and found that the end of the axle stretched a bit so this was recommended to remedy that situation.

So, what I would do since Toyota sees the need to do this (and yes, they generally do not recommend items such as this unless they had a problem with them at one time) would be to have the axle nuts torqued. For me that is easy. I go grab my handy dandy torque wrench, the correct socket, find the torque specs and have at it.

Since most people do not have a handy dandy torque wrench laying around, they either find a friend that does or pay somebody to do it for them.

If you want to drop by I would be more than glad to torque them puppies for ya peterr.

I know I would not get too worried about doing this but since the recommendations require it for interval maintenance several times, it might not be a bad idea to appease the Toyota gods and do it.

be sure to read the link gunguy posted. It is actually humorous as it tends to show that even the Toyota techs generally have no idea what they are supposed to be doing to meet this recommendation.

Old 01-02-10, 04:05 AM
conclusion

Hi again
I read an article which said one side was pressed on so only one was left to torque, but that side was phrased the way GunGuy put it.
Oh, for the 40's and 50's.
Thank you for taking the time and effort to help me resolve this issue.
I'll help the dealer build his third home in the carribean.
I'll also be back to let you know if I learn anything from this trip in about three weeks.

Old 01-02-10, 10:48 AM
nap
I'm going to have to research this for my own curiosity. Something just doesn't make sense and the fact that even the Toyota guys can't figure it out really makes it that much more curious.

I'll post back if I ever figure anything out that makes sense.

Old 01-02-10, 11:05 AM
axle

I notice if you Google, "re-torque axle shaft bolt" and don't even mention toyota that other car manuels are saying the same thing.
No problems though and I'm always here if you uncover something.
I wrote to corporate and I'm sure they will send me a detailed answer within a day or two

Below is a copy of my fax with personal data ommited:

Toyota Customer Assistance Center
199001 S. Western Ave.
Torrance, CA. 90509-2991
12/31/09

To whom it may concern:
I need your help. I have tried to reach Toyota Corpoate as I used to for the past 30 years to no avail.
The issue is in the supplemental maintenance book which is no longer in the manual.
It states that every 15,ooo the driveshaft nut should be retorqued.
Mechanics have told me there is no such bolt or nut in my car.
A dealer in a neighboring city told me there was a general tightening and the charge this item is $37.00. He could not state that the work described in the maintenance book was what would be done.
I am trying to find out what needs to be done in specific terms and at what cost.
I used to use the manual as the most reliable source but this has changed. I also used to use the contact chain of command in the manual to reach appropriate parties, but, this too has changed.
I earnestly ask you not to refer me to the nearest dealer, or any dealer to resolve this.
I am asking Toyota to directly communicate this information to me.
If you cannot or choose not to do so, please terminate this issue at this point.
We look forward to your response.

xxxxxxxxxxxxxx