How hard to install remote starter kit?

Old 12-12-09, 11:59 AM
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
How hard to install remote starter kit?

Sister called LD today to say she is buying dad one, and wanted to know if I would install it. Uhhhhh.......I said that number 1, it isn't exactly the tropics out right now, and number 2, I said that I have a feeling doing this job is no walk in the park considering you must have to tap into the ignition circuit. Like......tear the dashboard apart? And I said maybe every car is different, and some may be harder to do than others? She said it comes with a DVD telling you how to install it. As if I have time to sit watching some DVD ontop of things. And I told her that unless each DVD is specific to that particular car, then perhaps they want you to get a wiring diagram for your particular car?, and have to find certain key wires to be able to tie into both the start and run circuit?

Then again, maybe it is far easier?, and the kit has it to where you tie directly into the battery and they give you all the switching relays or whatever?

So my sister called up a station down there and asked them if they do that and what it cost to install, and she said to her surprise they told her they do not do that sort of thing. We were surprised since she also told me those are sort of the rage right now, down where she lives.

Heck, a guy could maybe make a living installing them for people, if say you were out of work. I told her I would check around locally. She kind of thought that maybe they'd charge about $100 to do it. ???

She said she is buying it regardless today and said she can always return it. It is featured in a 2-day only sale, 1/2 off. I guess it was supposed to cost about $90 originally. (Her husband is buying one to install in my sister's daughters car.)

Speaking about it not being the tropics out, late last night it was less than 5 degrees out and I threw my alternator belt. Lucky for me, my car is the best DIY car, and I had a spare under my front seat and changed it out, with my built-in hat light on, in minutes, while some passer by coming from the other way offered no assistance but honked at me.

Sponsored Links
Old 12-12-09, 02:37 PM
I personally don't like remote starters.. I did take an installers course when I worked in the Auto repair field, but unless you have the factory wiring diagram as you say, your guessing... Also you have to fool the security on newer cars to start without a key.. I used to have a lot of no-starts due to them as the relays were too small for the load on them & lots of corrodded wires as the "installers" would jab there test light probe into 100 wires before they found one & crimp unprotected scotch-locs or tape them with masking tape... Maybe others have different luck, but in this area,, I feel they're more trouble than there worth..... Roger

Old 12-12-09, 03:21 PM
Hmmmmmm. Thanks for at least your input on this so far.

Speaking of jabbed wires. My current 90 Dodge has that on every wire in the main harness under the dash.

Old 12-13-09, 12:28 PM
remote starter.

what kind of car and what kind of remote starters. GM has a TSB about some remote starters with mechanical relays that cut into the ignition circuit causing misfire codes and as someone mentioned if you have a security system(Passlock, chip key, etc) there may be issues with that as well.

Old 12-13-09, 12:38 PM
Group Moderator
I have successfully installed one on a 1999 Pontiac Grand Prix. The only thing was that you had to unlock the doors or the alarm would go off. It took me about 3 hours and it is not an easy place to work. If you can use a meter you can install one. That said, I would not do it again because it is kind of a pain. I would rather spend the $300 and have somebody else do it and have a better job too and a guarantee. My boss has one on his service truck. He can literally start his truck form the center of steel building 1/4 mile away. I can get you the brand if you want.

Old 12-14-09, 03:01 PM
Originally Posted by towman501 View Post
what kind of car and what kind of remote starters. GM has a TSB about some remote starters with mechanical relays that cut into the ignition circuit causing misfire codes and as someone mentioned if you have a security system(Passlock, chip key, etc) there may be issues with that as well.
It is a Kia Optima. I think about a 2002.

That would be the pits - to suffer through a job like this and cause other problems.

Old 12-14-09, 03:14 PM
Originally Posted by Tolyn Ironhand View Post
I have successfully installed one on a 1999 Pontiac Grand Prix. The only thing was that you had to unlock the doors or the alarm would go off. It took me about 3 hours and it is not an easy place to work. If you can use a meter you can install one. That said, I would not do it again because it is kind of a pain. I would rather spend the $300 and have somebody else do it and have a better job too and a guarantee. My boss has one on his service truck. He can literally start his truck form the center of steel building 1/4 mile away. I can get you the brand if you want.
Pretty good that it only took you 3 hours. I would think just watching and absorbing the dvd, opening the box and mentally injesting what all the parts are and the tools you need, and planning your method of attack, and putting your car in the garage and raising the hood, would take that.

I can PM you and we can exchange brand names.

Today I had PITA car issue when I went to leave today, out into the cold and snowing out, I had heater defrosting ice off windshield..... and the blower just upped and quit. Had to clear out work area in cold cluttered garage. Turns out my fairly new 50 amp!! toggle switch(mounted under the dash section that had to be removed......again) up and fell apart on the inside on me. I was not pleased. Here I replaced a low amp tinker toy one that came with the car when I bought it, because that one burned up from heat overload.....I could have used the metal toggle to solder with! This one stayed cool right up til the end. ???? I thought that 50 amper would last forever. It's always something.