oil filter

Old 12-14-09, 01:17 PM
oil filter

Hello
I was reading some strange stories about the new Corolla oil filters which are troublesome- not regular metal spin on types.
I can't find out if this applies to the 2007.
I can see it clearly in front of the engine with a strange looking ?sensor on top.
I am going to try to change oil and filter and hope it is the regular hand tighten type.
Anyone know?

Sponsored Links
Old 12-16-09, 09:19 AM
2007 Corolla uses regular spin on filter PH 4967 Fram, 3311 Bosch.

New 2009 filter uses an insert.

Old 12-16-09, 12:27 PM
filter

I appreciate the information, thank you. I bought the filter after I read your reply and it is ez to get to. It's time to do some maintenance.
I have a question about a fuse but I don't want to cross post so I'll start another thread.

Old 12-16-09, 12:53 PM
I don't do oil changes any more.

I found a small local (about 3 blocks from home) 3 bay garage. Since I use Mobil 1, which he does not stock he told me to get 5 quarts and a filter and said Walmart would be the cheapest.

For $8 or $10 (depending on the mood) he drains the oil, puts in the new, replaces the filter, checks everything that needs lubricating/greasing (including the troublesome latch for the rear window of my Jimmy) and disposes of everything. I think it is a pretty good and clean deal.

If I contact him the day before, I bring in the car when he is expected (never before 8:30 AM) and he gets on it quickly. If I drop it off, it will take all day or the next day before it is ready. If I come in about 5:00 PM he just does it while I wait or he gives me a ride home and delivers the car before he goes home for the day.

It is different, but he is honest and recognizes what is important time-wise and what can slide if there is something more critical. If I have a question, I swing by and he will immediately get in the car and drive it with me in it and figure out the best approach.

It pays to look for a good, honest local mechanic that know when to tell you when to go to a dealer or somewhere worse.

Dick

Old 12-17-09, 02:57 PM
Dick
Consider yourself a lucky guy.
Most city places won't do that type friendly work especially for that money.

Old 12-17-09, 03:29 PM
peterr -

That is why I moved to here (It is called "Minnesota Nice") and you do have to look around. We do have the Jiffy Lubes with the gorillas holding up sale price signs.

Nothing beats a good, honest mechanic that is proud of his work and advises you when it is beyond his expertise. He even advised me of a manufacturr call back and who to call to get it corrected.

Thanx

Dick