2000 Dodge Van Heater Controls Not Working

Old 12-16-09, 12:53 PM
2000 Dodge Van Heater Controls Not Working

The heat works and the fan works in all speeds, but the selector for floor area, body area and defrost area all blow out the defrost vents. Dial clicks as it is turned as always, just doesn't switch to anything else but defrost. I'll have a clean windshield but my feet might get a tad cold. Any suggestions are welcomed. Thanks, w.s.

Sponsored Links
Old 12-16-09, 01:51 PM
Not sure if your vehicle's blend door is operated by vacuum or cable. For cable, look under middle to right side of dash for a cable that moves a blend door; sometimes these become detached or broken. Otherwise, you likely have a loose vacuum line or broken diaphragm somewhere in the door selection system to the blend door actuator.

Old 12-16-09, 04:09 PM
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
My 91 Dodge, (probably my 90 also), has a thin vacuum line that ties into the vacuum brake booster under the hood. It tees into the bigger brake booster vacuum tube. When that fitting broke on me, because it is hard brittle plastic, the heat wanted to come out the defrost, when engine vacuum dropped, when I would go up a hill.

So I bet on a disconnected vacuum tube, or it is ill fitting or the connector for it is loose, and may be even in the same location, at the brake booster under the hood. It is cold out now and stuff like that gets stiff and brittle.

Old 12-17-09, 10:59 AM
2000 dodge heater

Thanks for your interest, I can not see any loose or broken lines/connections under the hood. There is no way of looking under the right side of dash. Guess i'll check with my mechanic$$$$$. Only gonna get colder here. w.s.

Old 12-17-09, 04:23 PM
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
Did you look right where I said?

My neighbor shelled out $250 for plugs and distributor cap. The car breaks down miles away same day after got car back. I found out today the cause (and our weather is cold here now also, like minus 8 we have had): Some cheap plastic vacuum fitting that the fuel pressure regulator connects to broke. My neighbor said he could not hear a vacuum leak because his engine "sounds like a sewing machine", he said.

Plastic gets hard and brittle after a while. Changes between hot under the hood, then below 0, does not help matters.

It is a shame to have to pay $$$$ just because you do not know where that vacuum line (if that is the cause/problem), ties in at.

Maybe a some guy out at the junk yard might have a clue. Or you could call up the service dept. mgr at a Chrysler dealer and act like you know what you are talking about and ask him if he would be so kind to simply tell you where the heater controls vacuum tube plugs in at in the engine compartment. At least then you know right where to look. And if it is under the dash where something broke or came off, it might be.....time and/or $$$$