1988 chevy sprint brakes

Old 12-19-09, 05:50 PM
1988 chevy sprint brakes

Been working on a 1988 chevy sprint brakes. Put new hoses, new pads new master cylinder and other things. we bleed the lines and they work great then all of a sudden they are out again. Getting very frustrated. Any ideas? Worked on brakes for years and I must be loosing it!

Sponsored Links
Old 12-19-09, 10:14 PM
Back to basics works for me on those jobs try clamping off your rubber lines on all four corners and try and depress the brake pedal if rock soild the problem is not in the master or lines if it goes down check your lines if good you may have gotten a bad master. If it was soild unclamp 1 brake at a time till the ped goes all the way down again and that is the problem part.If it goes down on the first unclamp the porportining valve my also be your problem.
Good Luck

Old 12-20-09, 05:16 AM
Wouldn't be the first time someone has gotten a master cylinder that did not work. Follow the Maniac's advice, if the trouble doesn't show, I would try a new master.

Last edited by wire twister; 12-20-09 at 05:18 AM. Reason: still learning how to spell
Old 12-20-09, 08:33 AM
1988 Chevy sprint brakes

Thanks to everyone so far. I will go back and try things over again.

Old 12-21-09, 04:11 PM
1988 Chevy sprint brakes

Ok, Clamped off all the lines and the peddle went to the floor. We have put 2 master cylinders on so I really don't think it is it. What about the proportioning valve? How would this cause my problem and where on earth will I find one of these. Local dealer says they no longer can get it.

Old 12-21-09, 04:54 PM
I once put three masters on a Nissan 240sx before I got a good one, if you are using a reman one try a different parts store.

Old 12-21-09, 10:46 PM
I'm with Twister, have put multiple masters spark modules alts on vehicals in my shop too. Also when you bench bleed the master don't depress all the way till it stops. We had a rep for bendix in explaining how this was causeing the pistons to get a small tear in them by crossing the plane that they are machined out to when rebuilding. Nice huh built in failer point on a rebuild. They probably save a penny on each unit. I know it adds up but really! LOL