2001 jetta front brake puzzle

Old 12-21-09, 12:59 PM
2001 jetta front brake puzzle

I spent this past weekend replacing both front and rear brakes on my stepson's car; no rotation of tires took place; by the way, all four wheels are the same size. When I remounted the tires (ICW RACING WHEELS), I ran into a problem. The back wheels are fine, on the other hand, when attempting to remount the front, the spokes are hanging up on the caliper; no clearance and no rotation. I took off the tires at the start of the brake job; no type of spacers were present. As far as I know, the caliper can be remounted one way only. Can someone enlighten me as to what the heck I may have done wrong; rotors were turned and calipers fit with new pads; no other new parts. PLEASE HELP !!

Sponsored Links
Old 12-21-09, 05:16 PM
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
Only thing I can think of is your son didn't take in account the thickness of the new pads when he put on the different wheel originally?

Old 12-21-09, 05:52 PM
I have this feeling something is turned around backwards. Study the drawing carefully and campare to yours. Notice in their top drawing how the wheel mounting surface on the rotor, is either flush with, or if anything, sticks out further than the caliper mounting plate.

http://www.2carpros.com/how_to/how_t...ace_brakes.htm

Old 12-21-09, 06:28 PM
Caliper couldn't.....the brake hose would be stretched to the max and akward.....