95 olds 88 chiming?

Old 12-22-09, 04:16 PM
Unhappy 95 olds 88 chiming?

I have a 95 olds 88 royal 3800 series II V6 that is chiming. I start the car fasten seat belt and its after i get going about 50yrds down the road it starts chiming and wont stop until after I've turned off the car. My air bag light is on (which has been on since I've had the car) and my parking brake light is on which is a new thing. The car was sitting about 5 months w/the brake on. I have been doing work to it that consists of the complete tensioner bracket part,water pump,radiator,overflow tank,thermostat and new hoses.Didn't overheat on me just was real filthy in the cooling system. So I decided to replace what I could. It had been sitting partly because my stickers had both expired and i couldn't get it taken care of because of D.L. problems. The car runs like a top and all the work I did has seemed to pay off. The car purrs steady at around a cool 180 degrees. But this chiming has confused me and now I have turned to the forums for some help. Any help to resolve this on my own would greatly be appreciated. Thanks in advance.

Sponsored Links
Old 12-23-09, 05:28 PM
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
Not that your make and model has the feature, but some cars when the parking brake is left on and it is placed in gear, it will chime. Look at the switch on the parking brake under the dash and work it until it releases and turns the light off.

Old 12-23-09, 06:21 PM
On G.M. products if the instrument panel "thinks" the park brake is engaged, an alarm will sound warning you it is on. You stated in your original post that the red brake (dash) is on, this would make the alarm sound.

you will need to check a few things to get this light to go out. First, check the park brake operation. The foot pedal may only be a off the released point a small amount,pull up slightly on pedal-this may make light go out, but this will allow the the lamp to stay illuminated. If the brake is fully released, look up near the top of the park brake pedal mechanism and make sure the switch is not damaged.

Lastly, check the brake fluid level in the master cylinder. There is a level sensor there which may also illuminate the light and set off the alarm.

Good luck when repairing.
Merry Christmas
Dimples82