2000 Dodge Neon Brake Rotors

Old 12-22-09, 06:06 PM
2000 Dodge Neon Brake Rotors

Does anyone know how thick a new brake rotor is for a 2000 dodge neon? I typically install Wagner rotors if that makes a difference.

I'd just like to see how far worn down my current ones are from a new one to see if its worth machining them or just replacing them all together.

Thanks,

Jim

Sponsored Links
Old 12-23-09, 08:11 AM
I don't know about new, but the place that's machining them should have the minimum thickness, it's in all the service manuals...or it's stamped on the rotor if not rusted over.. I'd price new ones first as I don't think there very expensive, are they??? Roger

Old 12-23-09, 08:27 AM
Super Moderator
According to Autozone... and presuming just front discs

.861-.871 (In thousandths of an inch)
Application:
With front disc brakes

And Minimal machining thickness (I guess that's the thinnest they can be after turning?)
.803 (In thousandths of an inch)
Application:
Front

I've pretty much come to the point of not believing in turning rotors for most vehicles. You spend $25 or so (maybe more in some places) and thin the brakes down..then a few month later you overheat and warp them for some reason..now you have to do it all over. Drums are normally different since they have so much more mass and do less work.

Old 12-23-09, 12:15 PM
Does anyone know how much material they remove when machining. I'm typically 100% against machining rotors too just because your asking a smaller part to do the same amount of work. It's just in this case these rotors installed currently seem pretty new.

From what i've been able to see different rotor manufactures use different thicknesses for their own parts but new ones from advance or auto zone are 0.87 in. thick.

I measured them and got an average thickness of 0.881 in. & also found a variation of 0.035 inches out of flat. The lowest spot i found on the rotor measured 0.866 in.

This would probably be the first time they would be turned so i'm kinda leaning towards machining in this case. I think i'll call some shops and see how much they charge to machine rotors i know i can get 2 new ones for $80, so we'll see what the savings is (it might just be worth it to buy new ones)

Old 12-23-09, 12:55 PM
Super Moderator
I'd suggest you ask if they check for runout when they machine...not many do from what I've seen. If they are warped to begin with..you just get thinner warped rotors back when they are done...

Most places..real machine shops..not auto parts places..will take the minimum opp to remove grooves and gouges. Some I've dealt with just take off a set amount..... .030 or whatever...no point in that.

Old 12-23-09, 01:46 PM
thats a good point too, the whole point in getting them machined in the first place is to correct the warpage. Midas wanted $22/rotor and Monro said they'd do it for $20 for both.

I found that NAPA wants $25/rotor for new ones so i'll probally just go with that.

do you think i should replace the brake pads too i mean there relatively new at 8/32" of friction material left on them.

Old 12-23-09, 02:23 PM
Super Moderator
Well..I'd have to wonder why yer doing the job if the pads are "relatively" new. Though...1/4" (8/32) doesn't sound very big...I know my cars pads have been quite a bit thicker than that.

Anyway...pads are the cheapest thing you'll be buying. I'd never replace rotors w/o replacing pads and it would be hard for me to replace pads w/o rotors....its like they become frieds or something...split 'em up..and they get nasty sometimes...lol.

Old 12-23-09, 04:15 PM
the whole reason i'm doing this is because the rotors are warped! theres a nice high speed vibration and a nice pulsating action in the pedal when i'm breaking. I don't know when they were actually put on since i haven't owned the vehicle that long.

All i know is that you only need .08 inches of friction material to pass inspection.

It's probably best to replace the pads anyways since the rotors are warped they most likely have some interesting wear patterns on them.

Old 12-23-09, 04:33 PM
Super Moderator
.08? 80 thousandths? OMG that's crazy.....if I'm right..that's about the thickness of 4-5 playing cards? Just measured..it's 3 fake credit cards....

Jeez...I thought PA was tough on that kinda stuff....

Old 12-23-09, 05:08 PM
thats the thickness they tell me for bonded pads, the guy said rivited pads is much higher due to the rivets but he said as long as you have 2mm (.08in) it will pass!

Seemed small to me too but i guess thats the requirement.

In my opinion it shouldn't be since how long can 2mm of friction material on your pads really last? I wonder what point the wear indicator comes into play...