Chys Town and Country AWD only rear drive

Old 12-23-09, 04:51 PM
Chys Town and Country AWD only rear drive

1999 Town and Country All Wheel Drive is just driving the rear wheels. I dont know much about the vehicle, it is my dads.
Just doing my homework before we dig into it. Hopefull after holidays.
Anybody got ideas. Runs great other then loss the front wheel drive, He would not have known but got into heavy snow and the back swings a bit now when accelerating on snowy road.

Sponsored Links
Old 12-23-09, 06:52 PM
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
I don't know how this is possible.......you sure it's not functioning? Just because the back end comes out in the snow doesn't mean it's not functioning.....

Old 12-23-09, 10:40 PM
Hot is correct that basicly is a front wheel drive with the rear wheels on the transfer case instead of the fronts like a normal 4x4 suv or truck and not possible to have rear only unless you've got a broken front cv joint and that should make a lot of noise banging around. Need more info to help more.

Old 12-24-09, 06:33 PM
Below is a quote from a description of the AWD system.
Will go out tommorow for xmas and take it for a drive but will not get a chance to crawl around under it.
From the description I think I am looking for a bad sensor which can read the rotation speed of the front as opposed to the rear. Making the system put 100% power to rear wheels.
Cant see it getting a reading off the ABS wheel sensors or the ABS light would be on???
Just a guess here.

Anybody got any ideas?? Any ideas at all??
Thanks

"Chrysler's all-wheel-drive device centers on an inter-axle viscous coupling which automatically channels engine torque to front and rear axles. Under normal driving conditions, the viscous coupling distributes about 90 percent of the power to front wheels, so the minivan behaves similarly to the front-wheel-drive model. Yet when on-board sensors detect wheel slippage at front wheels, the coupling instantly transfers some of the power -- up to 100 percent, depending on amount of slippage detected -- to rear wheels. "

Old 12-24-09, 08:35 PM
Well I ask for more info and still dont know if you have the 31th trans or not. The quote you put sounds like the circumstance if the ATC is turned off.Is your ATC lamp on when you press the button?(The switch located over the steering column in the bezel) If so then you have a problem and should have both abs and mil lamps. If its not turned on then you would have a rear kick out if the front tires are spinning because the automatic traction control is turned off.
If it doesn't light up when on you have a bad switch. I'm shooting from the hip because I still need to know what trans you have there are two possibilties in automatic the 31th and 41. If you have the ATC on and the vehical does this with no ABS or MIL (check engine) lamps your problem is in the trans itself the PCU on that thing monitors wheel speed , vehical speed , trans turbine speed , pitch, yaw,brakes, throttle position all to tell the transmission control module when and how much to activate your rear wheels driveshaft if any of those sensors or the trans module are out the MIL lamp will activate. If your wheel speed sensor(s) are out ABS will light will activate same for yaw sensor(tells the pcu if vehical is in danger of sliding)
Happy Holidays!

Old 12-25-09, 05:19 AM
Originally Posted by Maniac Mechanic View Post
and not possible to have rear only unless you've got a broken front cv joint and that should make a lot of noise banging around. Need more info to help more.
So are you saying I should be looking for a front driveshaft problem?

Old 12-25-09, 09:07 PM
Originally Posted by frankiee View Post
So are you saying I should be looking for a front driveshaft problem?
Read the post I made yesterday go that direction first and let me know what you found. There is no front drive shaft but a front transaxle then a transfer case going to the rear.There will be front cv axles that one broken could cause the problem but the stuff posted yesterday should be looked at first since you dont have any noises(would rattle and bang like a mo---------- Merry Christmas!

Old 12-26-09, 12:16 PM
Went up X Mas but did not look or talk about it.
It works so I guess its good for awhile.
Will get back to the post when I get time.
Thanks and happy holidays

Search this Thread