Dodge Grand Caravan serpentine belt squeel

Old 12-23-09, 08:58 PM
Dodge Grand Caravan serpentine belt squeel

1999 Dodge Grand Caravan
145,000 miles
3.8L engine w/air conditioning

Replaced the water pump first, it still squeeled as bad as it did with the old water pump.

Replaced the belt and it quit squeeling for a few days, then it started chirping. The chirping gradually got worse & worse until it started squeeling again. The squeeling just kept getting louder as the miles went by. This happened over a 2 week period.

Replaced the belt a second time and it acted exactly the same as when it was replaced the first time.

Any ideas on how to troubleshoot or what's the next step?
Thanks
TLH123

Sponsored Links
Old 12-24-09, 06:27 AM
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
Other components run off that belt, as well as tensioners. My money would be on the tensioner bearing. It won't be a "fix", but you could carefully put some lubricant in the bearing to see if it stops. If it does, you know what to do.

Old 12-24-09, 06:41 AM
Group Moderator
Tensioner or idler if it has one; sounds like a dry bearing maybe. It's good insurance to replace them periodically; during the water pump job would have been a good time.

Old 12-24-09, 07:05 AM
How long have you had the vehicle? Have you had any trouble with the belt being thrown in the rain or snow?
Does your power steering make a growning noise?
Does you power steering leak fluid?

The 3.8s have belt problems. Take a good look from the left and from the right and straight down and see how the pulleys dont line up perfect.
Take a good look at the power steering pulley. I know it is the hardest to see but its also the most neglected.

Old 12-24-09, 09:50 AM
Frankiee:
I've had the van for 4 years and 81,000 miles (now has 147,000 miles).
No problems with belt throwing at all.
No problems or noises from power steering. PS pump was replaced at 120,000 miles on 2-29-2008 because of leak.
No leak from PS now.
I did notice how the pulleys don't line up very well.

the_tow_guy & chandler:
If it is a bearing, why would a new belt make the noise disappear for a few days, then start chirping & gradually get worse & worse until it gets really loud and annoying - just like my kids?

Thanks for the help & MERRY CHRISTMAS!!!
TLH