Dremel on fuel door?

Old 12-29-09, 03:49 PM
Dremel on fuel door?

Son wants to use a dremel on the car body to make an aftermarket gas door fit. Needs to trim the area about 1/8th inch. Should I be concerned?

It is in my garage and I don't want to see my house go up in flames.

Or have a car blow up on Son.

Sponsored Links
Old 12-29-09, 04:15 PM
First thought:
I would be concerned.
Risk is odds of something happening and the worst case stenario. Consiering the bad things that have happened with gas in the past, I would say the "risk" is high.
I would start by eliminating the ignition source and look at ways to accomplish the job without the ignition source.

Old 12-29-09, 04:24 PM
Originally Posted by frankiee View Post
First thought:
I would be concerned.
Risk is odds of something happening and the worst case stenario. Consiering the bad things that have happened with gas in the past, I would say the "risk" is high.
I would start by eliminating the ignition source and look at ways to accomplish the job without the ignition source.
That would mean dropping the gas tank and removing it from the garage?

Old 12-29-09, 05:14 PM
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
If you are that worried, just have him place a few damp (with water) rags near the filler neck. What type of fuel door is he putting on that requires all this?

Old 12-29-09, 05:20 PM
Originally Posted by HotinOKC View Post
If you are that worried, just have him place a few damp (with water) rags near the filler neck. What type of fuel door is he putting on that requires all this?
Good idea..

It is just like Ebay item 360134514133

Thanks!

Old 12-29-09, 05:28 PM
No problem....that ebay listing says "- No Drilling or Cutting Required" hmmmm ; )

1994-1999 Chevy Tahoe Gas Fuel Door+Lock 1995 1996 1997:eBay Motors (item 360134514133 end time Jan-20-10 16:41:24 PST)

Old 12-29-09, 05:40 PM
Originally Posted by HotinOKC View Post
No problem....that ebay listing says "- No Drilling or Cutting Required" hmmmm ; )

1994-1999 Chevy Tahoe Gas Fuel Door+Lock 1995 1996 1997:eBay Motors (item 360134514133 end time Jan-20-10 16:41:24 PST)
cept he's putting it on a 98 Talon and it is a tiny bit off.

Old 12-29-09, 06:10 PM
Group Moderator
Plus it is billet which shouldn't produce sparks anyway. Since it is an add on can't he just take it off and do the machining?

Old 12-29-09, 06:27 PM
Originally Posted by Tolyn Ironhand View Post
Plus it is billet which shouldn't produce sparks anyway. Since it is an add on can't he just take it off and do the machining?
He hasn't gotten it on yet. The car body needs to be a slight smaller at one point to make it lay perfectly flush.

Old 12-29-09, 07:16 PM
Hammer time instead of grinding?

Old 12-31-09, 04:49 AM
Gas explosions happen from the fumes.
Set him up outside, use a large fan to keep a breeze going to keep fumes from collecting. If the cap has to be removed, lay a wet rag over the fill hole. Have a fire extinguisher handy.

& just in case... a video camera

Old 12-31-09, 05:20 AM

He got er dun.

Put a face mask there, not something wet, cause I didn't succeed in getting him or hubby to read this and I was gone.... and when I mentioned to hubby to read this he told me son wasn't using the dremel on the car but on the gas door he bought.... I didn't feel I had to be right... so I dropped it....

anyway, it seemed to be an easy job...

The car can't be moved out of the garage wihout doing it on manpower cause the exhaust is being removed and replaced.

That is the main job of the dremel right now, removing the stuck bolts from the old exhaust so son can get the new one put on.. then find out he STILL has the check engine light on because he wouldn't go get a cheap o2 sensor....

instead of paying close to $200 on the new stainless steel exhaust system.

Old 12-31-09, 05:59 AM
It's just a good thing the '60s are over with. You wouldn't have made it. Mother's frustration at what we did with cars is amazing. Our modifications made more power than 2 or 3 of today's cars combined. One guy kept a $5 bill taped to his passenger side dash board. When he took off at full power, if you could reach the bill, it was yours (amounted to a full tank of gas back then). Too much power and torque producing g forces you can't imagine.
Be thankful they are doing innocuous modifications. Rest easy. It's just money and they don't build hearses with trailer hitches.

Old 12-31-09, 09:28 AM
nap
Originally Posted by foreverkeeps View Post

That is the main job of the dremel right now, removing the stuck bolts from the old exhaust so son can get the new one put on.. then find out he STILL has the check engine light on because he wouldn't go get a cheap o2 sensor....

instead of paying close to $200 on the new stainless steel exhaust system.

don't feel too bad. I believe it is a right of passage into adulthood.

I can't even venture to guess how many cars I have seen with $2k worth of wheels and tires but have duct tape and house paint over the rust.
There are so many things like that. Someday, as a parent, we all hope they eventually grow up a bit and learn what priorities are and why they are priorities.