2005 Toyota Camry LE 4 cyl Aut. Gurgling sound - no heat

Old 12-31-09, 12:43 PM
2005 Toyota Camry LE 4 cyl Aut. Gurgling sound - no heat

During the last few months, I hear a gurgling sound (almost like water boiling) coming from the driver's side, just forward of the firewall. This happens when accelerating from idle.

Now just today, I noticed that I get no heat coming from the heater when I am running at idle, at a red light for example. As I accelerate and hear the gurgling sound come and go, the air now comes out hot through the vents.

Also, I noticed the antifreeze level to be way below the MIN mark in the white tank, on the right side of the car.

Is any of tis related?

What can be the cause of my problem?

Sponsored Links
Old 12-31-09, 03:32 PM
When the engine is cool, check the antifreeze level in the radiator, not the reservoir. I'd say you're just way low on coolant, which would cause what you describe.

Old 12-31-09, 05:39 PM
Like Pecos said you have a low coolant level more than likely
the big question is why. After you have it filled up look for leaks at water pump, hoses, everything in the cooling system.

Old 12-31-09, 08:35 PM
Originally Posted by Maniac Mechanic View Post
Like Pecos said you have a low coolant level more than likely
the big question is why. After you have it filled up look for leaks at water pump, hoses, everything in the cooling system.
During last service, we noticed a reddish fluid kind of "sweating off" the transmission oil pan. Mechanic said it could be a leak in thr transmission oil pan or in the transmission gasket itself, and that I should wash under the vehicle and keep an eye out for leaks.

Now, is it possible the heater core might be in the vincinity and might have a small leak that reaches under the car straight to the trans oil pan? Or is this out of the question...

Old 12-31-09, 08:43 PM
Reddish brown is the wrong color for coolant prob.not the issue with the heat and noise you are hearing.Look for possible leaks after filling the system back up.Since you didn't say anything about an overheating problem prior to this issue or the wet smell comming from the HVAC vents I'm Assumming you might not have a thermostat or leaking heater core problem at this time.My thought is a small leak or a bad rad cap and the coolant is escaping threw the overflow bottle.

Old 01-01-10, 05:59 AM
Orange coolant that is a little dirty could look reddish/brown. Also it's possible that someone added the unversal green coolant to existing orange coolant, making it a weird brownish color.