90 ranger windshield wipers park up not down

Old 12-31-09, 03:02 PM
90 ranger windshield wipers park up not down

i replaced the windshield wiper motor on my 90 ford ranger. now the wipers stop pointing up instead of parallel with the dashboard. i think this has to do with the polarity of the motor but i am not sure how to change that. thanks

Sponsored Links
Old 12-31-09, 05:45 PM
If you just replaced the motor try shutting off the wipers and remove the motor set the blades down and see if the wiper trans lines up with the current position of the motor arm it's possible you just have it clocked 180 out. If that fails ya I'd go to the wiper module next.

Old 12-31-09, 09:45 PM
What was the old one doing??? If it's grounded properly, you used an aftermarket motor,, didn't you ... Take it back for warranty as they have the park switch inside messed up... Roger

Old 01-01-10, 08:46 AM
the old one just quit working period. nothing when i turned on the wipers.

i took this back apart when i discovered the problem and the way it is designed, i can only get the linkage hooked up one way, the way it is. otherwise i cannot fit my hands into the space that is available. does the wiper module where they stop?

Old 01-01-10, 01:18 PM
Yep it tells the motor where to park based on location from some contacts in the motor assbly cant recall if its internal or external on that one. If it came as a unit and internal return and try a different one(the wiper motor will have a plastic cover on the front side with a circut board under it) That will be your problem piece.If external they are usually located under the dash on the left side of the steer column.This will be a box maybe 2x4 inches and a plug in with 8 to 10 wires on it.Sometimes more or less depends on how many features the wipers do.Either way though a pain I'd return the new one for a different one and go from there first.

Old 01-01-10, 01:31 PM
i would suggest that you get the original motor back.
contact your local 'FORD' dealer,give them your vin # - most all had a recall on parts of the widshield motor.

Old 01-01-10, 07:58 PM
Lately I have been buying a LOT of things new out of the box which are not assembled correctly or do not work as they should.

I would not be surprised if that motor had the rotating arm installed in the wrong position...

Old 01-01-10, 09:48 PM
The Park switch is inside the wiper motor on these older Rangers, they only had a "timer" module for the intermittant wipers... I have to agree with Newtofta about going to the dealer for a new motor for this,, It's probably about the same price but it'll work.. I've used a lot of aftermarket units because aftermarket warranties want them & I stopped dealing with them if I wasn't paid labor to troubleshoot & re & re a defective unit every time I had a new one that didn't work.... Roger

Search this Thread