93 dodge pickup, cummins diesel

Old 12-31-09, 06:02 PM
93 dodge pickup, cummins diesel

My 93 pickup won't start when it's cold. The heater to heat incoming air isn't working when temps get down to about 20 degrees or lower. when using block heater it sometimes starts but shakes and blows out white smoke.

Help

jimco

Sponsored Links
Old 12-31-09, 06:14 PM
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
Sounds as if your block heater isn't working. I'm not sure what the resistance should be but have you checked the resistance of the heater by checking between the flat prongs on the plug? I forgot to plug mine in a couple of nights ago while it got into the 20's. Same symptoms you indicate.....rough running and white smoke until it smoothed out. Yours is a 12 valve 2nd generation. Does it have a heater grid? Are you waiting until the "wait to start" light extinguishes? I'm running a 2001 24 valve second generation, so they are similar. If I use my block heater, starting is a breeze.

Old 12-31-09, 06:25 PM
It does have a heater drid but my wait to start light never comes on except when temp is up near 30 degrees.

Old 12-31-09, 06:32 PM
You mean below 30 degrees the "wait to start" light doesn't ever come on?? You may want to make sure your heater grid is intact and heating as well as the block heater.

Old 12-31-09, 06:41 PM
Heater grid works when it up near 30 and wait to start light works then also but when it's colder neither works. loose or shorted wire?

Old 12-31-09, 07:08 PM
Where the turbo dumps into the engine there is a couple of brass looking bolt heads with a rather heavy gauge wire running between them. These are actually your grid heater leads and are energized when the ECM calls for it. Remove both battery negative leads and the jumper on the grid to check the continuity of the grid. If you don't get resistance, it may be bad. If it appears good, then check voltage to it once you hook everything back up and turn the ignition on, grid bolt to ground.

Search this Thread