heet

Old 01-01-10, 12:40 PM
heet

We're suspecting my relative's 93 Jeep Grand Wagoneer may be displaying symptoms of water in the gas. It was sitting outside in different all temperatures winter and summer without running for maybe a year with barely 1/8 tank of fuel in it. It will crank over and actually start but just will not stay running and we have already checked most other common possibilities. Somebody suggested we try putting some of that gas dryer Heet in the tank to see what happens after that.
If the tank is 1/8 full, how much of the bottle of Heet should we add? (Don't know tank capacity of vehicle, would anyone care to guess)
Any comments/suggestions about the situation appreciated.

Sponsored Links
Old 01-01-10, 12:56 PM
Put about 5 gal of fresh gas in there and see if it clears up.Gas has a "shelf life" of maybe 2 to 3 months these days heet won't really help much to fix this restore(gas storage product) may but try fresh gas is my reccomendation.

Old 01-01-10, 01:06 PM
Originally Posted by Maniac Mechanic View Post
Put about 5 gal of fresh gas in there and see if it clears up.Gas has a "shelf life" of maybe 2 to 3 months these days heet won't really help much to fix this restore(gas storage product) may but try fresh gas is my reccomendation.
Okay we could try putting about 5 gal of fresh gas in as you suggest. But as far as the comment that Heet is a gas storage product, apparently the standard red bottle of Heet is supposed to "dry" the water out of the gas (its intended use) and is not necessarily a gas stabilizer or gas storage product such as a product like Stay-Bil or something.

Also, I discovered that the tank capacity for this vehicle is 23 gal, and bottle of Heet is supposed to treat 20 gal, so I guess if I decided to treat the 1/8 tank of gas I'd use about 1/8 of a bottle...

How about the idea of adding 1/8 of a bottle of the Heet first and if that doesn't seem to help then putting in the fresh gas?

Old 01-01-10, 02:27 PM
Forum Topic Moderator
I doubt it would hurt to use a full bottle along with the fresh 5 gallons of gas. Way back when I bought a tank full of 'bad' gas and couldn't afford to drain it off so I added 2-3 bottles of dry gas and was able to use the whole tank.

Have you checked the fuel pump pressure? fuel filter?

Old 01-01-10, 03:01 PM
Originally Posted by marksr View Post
I doubt it would hurt to use a full bottle along with the fresh 5 gallons of gas. Way back when I bought a tank full of 'bad' gas and couldn't afford to drain it off so I added 2-3 bottles of dry gas and was able to use the whole tank. Have you checked the fuel pump pressure? fuel filter?
Okay maybe will go ahead and try a full bottle along with 5 gal fresh gas. No, haven't really tried checking fuel pump pressure (don't have a gauge/equipment), but we did notice plenty of pressurized fuel at the fuel rail schrader valve, if that's any indication of whether the fuel pump pressure is adequate or whether the fuel filter could be part of the problem. And no, we haven't yet actually "checked" the fuel filter, either.