'96 Intrepid Seat Problem

Old 01-03-10, 10:45 AM
'96 Intrepid Seat Problem

Our 1996 Chrysler Intrepid's front power seat will not move forward or back. It still moves up/down (on the same switch as the back/forward) and tilts (separate switch). I checked the fuse panel and it looks like the power seat is all on one circuit so that's probably not the problem.

Is there any way to manually adjust the back/forward position? (too far forward right now)

Any place I could get a picture or diagram of the motor/switch assembly?

Sponsored Links
Old 01-06-10, 06:43 AM
Can somebody point me towards a place where I could find a diagram or picture of the seat assembly?

Old 01-06-10, 08:27 AM
Group Moderator
Just thought I would let you know you're not being ignored. I did some surfing around and came up empty. A couple of references on other sites and forums that the Intrepid seat motors can be problematic, but nothing specific enough for your troubleshooting. My only suggestion is that you might want to Google for a specific MOPAR or Intrepid forum site.

Old 01-06-10, 10:15 AM
Yeah, I've been Googling this problem for a few days now and like you say, its sort of common but not many (any) solutions. Things is, its about -20 C here right now and I'd like to know what I'm looking for to avoid spending too much time outside :-)

Thanks for the reply Tow

Old 01-06-10, 10:32 AM
For what it's worth, and it may not be much, I had that same problem on the wife's 2000 Saab and after checking the various forums to no avail, and then checking the fuses I was already thinking about the seat motor too until I peeked under the seat and found that the wire harness connector had come partially loose on the back side of the switch. I had assumed wrongly that the connector would have been clip locked into place at the factory. The seat also would recline but not move forward and backward either. Depending on the contact material they used for the wire connectors is it also possible that some of them have corroded after so many years, or that the switch itself gave out, especially if they or it were exposed to moisture from rain, snow or humidity. Just another thought.

Old 01-06-10, 02:28 PM
That was something else I was going to look at. Corroded switch contacts or connections are a good possibility (lots of snow, salt, sand, etc.)

Thanks equinox.

Old 01-06-10, 09:57 PM
Sorry Editor came up empty also there are different motors for foward/back , recline/boost ect ect could only find switch tests for 2000 and up don't know for sure if yours is wired the same.But in those years they do say that any failer in cont. replace the switch. Looks like a 20 min to 1/2 hr job and a 30 dollar switch will keep lookng and post if I find anything

Old 01-07-10, 04:57 AM
I took a quick look last night. I found the 2 motors under the seat and managed to open the panel that houses the switch. No obvious broken wires or disconnected connections. The switch is housed in a box and it was darn cold last night so I couldn't do a close inspection.

One place I found on the net suggested it might be possible to manually turn the motor and at least move the seat to a comfortable/safe position but I couldn't see a way to do that.

Thanks for looking around Maniac, I appreciate it :-)