f350 deisel problem

Old 01-04-10, 04:11 AM
f350 deisel problem

put fuel pump on 89 ford duel tank deisel,cant get fuel to come up to filter.anyone had this problem,need sugesstions or anyone know what problem may be,please help

Sponsored Links
Old 01-04-10, 07:55 AM
Fuel systems can be quite complex these days! Not just a simple matter of a pump and two wires.

Best to use a factory service manual when replacing parts (order from dealer). Many times in these manuals I read that I need to short two wires on a certain connector, or press a reset button somewhere, or do some other procedure as part of the replacement process. Perhaps a procedure to "prime" the pump.

Then there is also checking the electrical system for the pump. There can be many electrical parts involved with the pump. The factory manual will tell you exactly where to test with a multimeter, which color wires, and what readings you should get. Then what to check next depending on the results.

Then there can be air hoses and vent hoses along with solenoid valves. Sometimes if these malfunction, you can't fill the tank with gas! I suppose this might be a problem with the pump as well?

Old 01-04-10, 12:02 PM
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
Welcome to the forums! Not sure if Ford does like Cummins, but if I bump my starter and leave the ignition in the on position, the lift pump will prime and run fuel from the tank, through the pump to the filter, through the injector pump and back into the tank for about 25 seconds. Helps to eliminate air after a filter change or break in the line like you have. Air embolisms will keep your vehicle from starting. You will definitely need to prime it some way, and only a manual can tell you that unless someone on the forum has better ideas. Stay tuned, they're coming.