Chevy S10 wont start

Old 01-04-10, 08:39 AM
Chevy S10 wont start

OK guys and gals,

you've never let me down before. Heres the situation. My gf had the tire fall off the rim, after not getting it fixed for months. It had been quite cold and sat for nearly 2 days like that. When i finally got the tire replaced, it wouldnt start. Realized it had almost no gas, so I put 5 gallons in and still wouldnt turn over. I eventually ran the battery dead. AAA came and without so much as looking at it, said it was the fuel pump. This was replaced just under 2 years ago. Im trying to trouble shoot as best I can. What can I do to try to disspell that it does, in fct, need a fuel pump? Thanks in advance. Dan

Sponsored Links
Old 01-04-10, 08:43 AM
also...it was starting just fine up til this point. It was very strong.

Old 01-04-10, 08:02 PM
Easy test is use starting fluid if she fires up and dies you have a fuel issue. If still no start timing/spark is the problem. Could be pump,filter,relay or fuse.If it fires on the starting fluid use a rubber mallet on the tank while sombody is cranking 90% of the time a GM will fire on a bad pump doing this, just because you may here a buzz sound doesn't mean its putting out enough pressure.That will get you started anyway.

Old 01-05-10, 09:30 AM
Check the basics, Fuel, Spark, Air.

Fuel: While someone is turning the key to start, have someone else spray starting fluid into the throttle body. If you get a response, then this is a fuel problem.

Spark: Remove a spark plug and place the side screw portion against a piece of body metal or engine metal (grounded to battery negative/ground). Then watch as someone turns the key to start. See if there is spark. Advanced spark testing is to use a spark testing tool which would typically have a gap of .25 inch. You should see a crisp blue spark. This is a larger gap than a spark plug and tests that the coil is producing a high enough voltage. (Good spark as opposed to weak spark.)

Air: Slightly press on the accelerator while trying to start. Normally the throttle is completely closed and the IAC (Idle Air Control) valve adjusts to admit air into the engine. By pressing slightly on the accelerator, you are bypassing the IAC valve and allowing air to enter the engine.

Combination test: While someone slightly presses on the accelerator and turns the key to start, have someone else spray starting fluid into the throttle body.