04 Suburban speedometer

Old 01-04-10, 12:10 PM
04 Suburban speedometer

The speedometer on our 04 suburban is stuck all the way to the right, so setting still it reads over 120 mph. This happened quickly, first noticed while pulling into fill up, it first stuck on about 80 then driving away from the pump is increased as speed increased from the 80 point. Let it set for about 10 minutes with no change. Continued driving home and it remained pegged.

Any ideas? Is it the instrument cluster, blown fuse, something else?????? An issue seen before?

Sponsored Links
Old 01-04-10, 02:03 PM
It is common to have instrument cluster problems with GM vehicles. Very good possibility.

If you have cruise control, might want to see if that works OK, I think this might use the same "speed" electrical signal as the speedometer. If that works ok, then even more likely problem with the instrument cluster.

If cruise control does not work, then problem with the electrical speed signal.

Old 01-04-10, 05:02 PM
Thanks, the cruise control works fine. I was not sure if they both used the same signal or not.

Any ideas on the best place to get the new instrument cluster.

Pretty sure I can handle the installation.

Thanks,

Old 01-05-10, 06:45 AM
spedo

This might be a time to pay for diagnosis. There are a couple other items that affect the spedo besides the gauge itself. With the price of parts you dont want to start throwing parts at it.

Old 01-05-10, 09:27 AM
Might want to check with the dealer to see if there is a recall and free replacement.

Otherwise I like the wrecking yard myself if I can find the same exact part.

Search this Thread