Need Help Diagnosing A Hydraulic Clutch Problem

Old 01-05-10, 05:32 AM
Need Help Diagnosing A Hydraulic Clutch Problem

I'm having trouble bleeding the clutch master cylinder on my 1971 Triumph TR6. I took the mc off the car a few years ago and put it on a shelf while I did other work on the car and now I re-installed it and cannot get any clutch pedal resistance or slave cylinder movement.

I've tried bleeding the system numerous times with no luck.

There are no leaks anywhere.

I've ordered a rebuild kit for both my clutch master cylinder and the clutch slave cylinder but I'm concerned that they may not solve the problem.

Is it possible to have a bad clutch master cylinder and/or clutch slave cylinder without any external leaking?

Is it possible to test each component separately to determine if one or both are bad?

Thanks for any input and help.

Sponsored Links
Old 01-05-10, 06:39 AM
bleed clutch

Yes a M Cyl can bypass internally without leaking. The slave cyl should work if it doesn't leak. Any M Cyl should be "bench bled" before installing. Clamp it in a vise and using a screw driver or similar tool push the piston in while using your finger as a check valve on the hole the line connects to. Some have reported bleeding by opening the bleeder on the slave cyl and allowing gravity to fill the system. I never had good luck with these methods. I always ended up using my pressure bleeder.