2001 Ford Taurus

Old 01-08-10, 11:26 PM
2001 Ford Taurus

Friend has a 2001 Ford Taurus, 3.0L V-6 engine Flex Fuel, mileage is unimportant. Needs to have the oil pan replaced because it is dented pretty severely, to the point that if you take the drain plug out it may not go back in. How difficult would it be to replace that oil pan? Any special tools? Would the engine need to be lifted any? He wouldn't have known about it, but the people at the quick change place he went to refused to change his oil because of it, and when I looked at it the day after I saw how bad it was dented. Please let me know how difficult a job this could be.

Sponsored Links
Old 01-09-10, 06:08 AM
Group Moderator
Not terribly difficult. Check autozone.com for the full procedure but it's basically:

1. Negative battery cable (standard safety precaution)
2. Right front inner wheel splash shield
3. Dual converter Y-pipe
4. Transaxle support bracket
5. Oil pan

Old 01-09-10, 11:35 AM
Here's a couple things to consider when working with these splashields. It may be helpful, it may not. Up to you.
The front splash shields have three screws along the front outer edge to secure it to the front fascia and about 10 plastic "scrivet" (screw shank rivet) type pushpins inside the fender well.
Sometimes the plastic screw can be backed out with a phillips screwdriver and the scrivets easily removed and salvaged. Otherwise they have to be pried out with such force that replacements have to be on hand to reinstall the splashshield securely. They really are tough little buggers to pry out. So the point is, try to remove the centers rather than pry out the whole thing at once.

Also there is a 2" tab feature on the inside front edge of the splashsheild that fits inside a groove in the frame. The ABS sensor wire should be tucked underneath this tab during reinstallation to ensure it remains properly slack.
Work on aligning and tucking the outside edge of the shield to the fender while first, while making sure that the inside isn't drooping down and working against you. It should stay loosely in place even before it is fastened.

Old 01-09-10, 01:58 PM
Thanks tow and mick. I should be able to take this on once the weather gets above freeze your ba**s off. Here in Northern Ohio it's a bit on the cold side right now. I will let ya'll know how it goes when I do finally do it. Again thanks

Old 01-10-10, 08:10 AM
Group Moderator
I wouldn't be doing it down here right now - 38 degrees at 11:00 am - so I KNOW I wouldn't where you are.