Montana Van won't turn over

Old 01-09-10, 01:48 PM
Montana Van won't turn over

Have a 05 Pontiac Montana van. Wouldn't try to start. I just thought the battery had died due to the cold weather. I replaced it, same thing. The silenoid don't even click. I think its like if you had the gear shif in drive and tried to start it. Does anyone have an idea other than switching the starter because I'm afrad it's something electrical rather than the starter.

Sponsored Links
Old 01-09-10, 05:22 PM
Check all fuses...
(Owner's manual will show location of all fuses.)
Testing fuses Page

Then you can check to see if the starter is getting power or not with a multimeter...
how to use a multimeter on a car - Google Search

Other than that, you would need a factory service manual which should come with electrical diagrams (order from your dealer) to troubleshoot the starting electrical system.

These things are quite complex these days with security systems and various computers in the mix. Computer networks, etc. Best to follow the troubleshooting directions in the book.

BTW: That is why I say to check all the fuses. A computer somewhere might have a blown fuse and that could keep the vehicle from turning over.

Old 01-09-10, 08:29 PM
Many GM have had issues around ignition switches, and others have Pass Lock issues(security system) failures that could cause what you are experiencing also. I know for some model Pontiacs there are security system issues and just leaving the key in the on position for 15 minutes will reset it. Is there a flashing security light on or any security problem light coming up on the dash? Just an idea. Checking the Pontiac forums several electrical problems are very common including one where a TSB was issued last year around a wire harness connector corossion problem on the floor at the rear of the drivers seat that also can cause a no start condition, but it wasn't clear on whether it would cause your completely dead starter scenario. Might be worth a look anyway. If no power is getting to the starter it could be computer related (BCM or other) as was mentioned. Just for the heck of it did you try starting it in neutral also. I am also only a DIYer but these days it seems many problems are often less generic across products like they used to be, and more specific model/make related. Hence the Pass Lock and ignition switch comments.

Old 01-10-10, 02:09 PM
Thanks for the information. I had tried to start in neutral like you mentioned. You might be right as far as the security. When I turn the switch on, the battery light comes of for a bout 3 seconds then the security light comes on. Doesn't flash, just on solid. Does anyone know if this is normal?

Old 01-10-10, 03:47 PM
I checked and your vehicle uses the GM Passkey3 system. The indicator light should remain steady for 2 seconds if the value from the key is correct. If the signal is not correct, the PCM disables the injector and the starter and flashes the light once per second. If an illegitimate key is used or a system problem exists, the light flashes twice per second. From what I can tell the only way to check the system properly is with a scanner. This is a link that talks about the passkey 3 system and others.

http://www.ricksfreeautorepairadvice...-theft-systems.

I assume you have locked and unlocked your doors with the keyfob since installing the battery as well just to make sure everything is reset. Have you followed the good advice also from the other posting, ie. around the fuses as it sounds like your security system maybe functioning if the light is not flashing? Have a look at the link above anyway. GM has used 4 different security systems in their vehicles over the years.

Old 01-12-10, 03:52 PM
Thanks for all the help guys, I'm gonna kill my wife by the way. She had a new key made which she didn't tell me about. A none chipped key. Only took me a week to figure this one out.

Old 01-12-10, 04:31 PM
Glad it was that simple. Best not to mention it again other than to remind her how much easier it now starts with the new$100 battery, but that discussion is for another forum.

Old 01-12-10, 05:28 PM
Originally Posted by ironsj View Post
Thanks for all the help guys, I'm gonna kill my wife by the way. She had a new key made which she didn't tell me about. A none chipped key. Only took me a week to figure this one out.
Good thing you found THAT out. That would have been a lot of work to get wiring diagrams and start checking out the security system!

Reminds me when I used to repair office equipment. I walked in an office and the lady said her calculator "just stopped working"... I turned it upside down to take it apart and a bunch of coffee spills out...

She said... "The janitor must have done that!"

Old 01-13-10, 08:36 AM
Montana wont start

I was going to ask about the key when I first saw this post but decide not to,didnt want to be insulting. My wife did the same thing but I caught her at it. Oh the price we pay for romance.