No heat

Old 01-10-10, 06:52 AM
No heat

My wife's car is a 2006 Chevy Impala. The temp gauge shows about 200 deg but will only blows hot air sometimes when the heater is turned on. I tried to add anti freeze today. Any ideas?

Sponsored Links
Old 01-10-10, 07:41 AM
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
Start by replacing the thermostat and we will go from there.

Old 01-10-10, 08:02 AM
Has there been any work on the car recently?
Is the temp gauge fairly steady when warmed up?
Are there any other noises or signs e.g., gurgling sounds?
Is coolant in rad at proper level?

Old 01-10-10, 05:22 PM
Originally Posted by HotinOKC View Post
Start by replacing the thermostat and we will go from there.
Don't think it is the thermostat because it does not over heat and I can tell when it opens and closes by the gauge.

Old 01-10-10, 05:26 PM
Originally Posted by frankiee View Post
Has there been any work on the car recently? No
Is the temp gauge fairly steady when warmed up? Yes
Are there any other noises or signs e.g., gurgling sounds? No
Is coolant in rad at proper level? Yes
I was thinking the control for the amount of heat was electronic and it is not working properly. Just don't know for sure and thought I would get some input.
Wife is saying that when she stops at a light, it will blow cold air then when she starts up again, it will blow warm sometimes.

Old 01-10-10, 05:47 PM
Last time I seen those symptoms:
Stop at light heat goes away, Get RPMs up and heat reappears it was air in the system.
Have you got a temperatur gun.
At idle your heater hoses should both be quite hot to wrap your hand around. One should be a bit cooler then the other one but not by much.

Old 01-10-10, 05:49 PM
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
Originally Posted by biermech View Post
Don't think it is the thermostat because it does not over heat and I can tell when it opens and closes by the gauge.
A stuck open thermostat will not cause overheating.

Old 01-10-10, 06:31 PM
The heat travels inside the vehicle via tubing or hoses from the engine. These hoses have hot engine coolant circulating in them.

So is that hot coolant circulating to the inside of the vehicle is the 1st question? Carefully feel these hoses (would be going through firewall into vehicle) and see if they are both hot.

If they are just warm or cool, then you are not going to get any heating inside the vehicle. There could be a clog in the tubing preventing the water from flowing. Sometimes there is a valve which is controlled by the inside controls which allows the hot water to flow or not.

If the water is flowing and both tubes are hot, then there is a damper (blend door) inside the air ducts in the vehicle and this allows all hot air, a mixture of hot and cool, or all cold air.

There are sometimes electronically controlled actuators which move this damper / door. The actuator may be faulty, need to be resynchronized, or the electronics controlling the actuator may be faulty.

You need a factory service manual (order from dealer) and a multimeter to troubleshoot these electronic systems.

If you have an electronically operated air conditioning system, you can try "rebooting" the electronics with the following...

Remove a battery terminal for 10 minutes, then reconnect.
Turn ignition switch to on, but don't start.
Wait 1 minute.
DO NOT touch any buttons in the vehicle during this minute.
Then start vehicle and let idle for 5 minutes.
Drive above 45 mph as soon as possible.

This "reboots" all the computers in the vehicle including the A/C which then "resynchronizes" the actuator doors during the power-up.

This also reboots the engine computer and the idle and driving above 45 mph helps it to "regain" its operating memory.

Old 01-11-10, 05:44 AM
I've never owned a GM vehicle but I have owned others that have a small pump that, at an outside setpoint temperature, circulate more water through the heat exchanger in the dash area to augment the lower flow rate when the engine is at idle rpm. In this manner, the temperature of the heated air does not lessen when the vehicle is stopped.

If the pump is not working, you get the cooling symptom at idle. Check all your fuses - always begin with the simple things first.

I don't think it is a thermostat issue.

Old 01-11-10, 07:25 PM
Originally Posted by LawrenceC View Post
I've never owned a GM vehicle but I have owned others that have a small pump that, at an outside setpoint temperature, circulate more water through the heat exchanger in the dash area to augment the lower flow rate when the engine is at idle rpm. In this manner, the temperature of the heated air does not lessen when the vehicle is stopped.

If the pump is not working, you get the cooling symptom at idle. Check all your fuses - always begin with the simple things first.

I don't think it is a thermostat issue.
Lawrence,, What kind of vehicle was that??? I've never seen or heard of a pump in the cooling system that would pump hot coolant into the heater core if the vehicle idles... I've worked in several dealerships so we see a good mix of different brands, but I've never seen this feature... Do you have a brand & model??? It sounds like something I would like to retrofit to my truck... Roger

Old 01-12-10, 05:44 AM
Originally Posted by hopkinsr2 View Post
Lawrence,, What kind of vehicle was that??? I've never seen or heard of a pump in the cooling system that would pump hot coolant into the heater core if the vehicle idles... I've worked in several dealerships so we see a good mix of different brands, but I've never seen this feature... Do you have a brand & model??? It sounds like something I would like to retrofit to my truck... Roger
Roger, Mercedes Benz has or had it.

1980 450SL

1993 400E

I am sure there are other MB models that use it.

It goes by the name 'auxiliary water pump'. I had to replace the pump on my 1980 SL. On a cold day, the heated air exiting the vents would cool considerably while at a stop light.

The little pump is also a good substitute for the turbocharger coolant pump on 944 turbo Porsches. It costs about $70 instead of the $230 for the genuine rip off Porsche part.

Old 01-15-10, 11:44 AM
I want to thank everyone for the posts. I believe I got it licked. The damn thing was a little low on fluid. When I tried to fill it 2 weeks ago, it would not take. Checked again and it was full. Put the cap on, squeezed the upper hose a few times and it took a half gallon. Did it again and got another quart. Strangest thing I've ever seen.

Old 01-15-10, 11:48 AM
Super Moderator
Hey...did you put softened water in it? lol

Old 01-19-10, 01:14 PM
If you squeezed the hose and it gurgled, think about a stuck-open thermostat

Search this Thread