Transmission trouble codes

Old 01-11-10, 10:24 AM
Transmission trouble codes

need some advice; my son just bought a 99 Plymouth minivan, (musician with a new baby) and its throwing codes P0731 and P0700, indicating tranmission. Speedometer is intermitently working, doesn't seem to have shifting problems, yet. Any thoughts on where to begin with this,? Known problems? Thanks! T

Sponsored Links
Old 01-11-10, 12:41 PM
p0700 and p0731 are both caused by transmission contol not getting enough voltage or low trans level since you say it shifts all right but the speedo flux sometimes I'd check grounds ,batt voltage,charging systems first. Then trans level. If all those check out.To diag the trans module clear the codes and drive the vehical in each individual gear for 30 sec. See when the code/if comes back you may have a bad module
Rev/1/2/3.D if it doesn't return you fixed it if it does the module is the next prospect (inside the Trans)

Old 01-12-10, 06:22 AM
thanks for info, I'll check the charging system first. any particular grounds on control modules need to be checked?

Old 01-14-10, 10:16 PM
Pins 53 and 57 on the trans module should show ground ,pin 56 will be power (12 volt) this is on the plug side with the key on ,the pins are numbered (VERY small) If all this does check out clean the contact points on the plug and module with electric contact cleaner ,can get @ parts store kinda pricey 10 to 12 bucks before reassembling.

Old 01-16-10, 08:28 AM
These transmissions have a problem with the input and output speed sensors. Usually if the speedo is inop the output speed sensor is bad since it is where the car get the info for speed. I would replace both since they are cheap and easy to do. They screw into the case in the front.