2005 Honda CR-V - Remove splash shield

Old 01-13-10, 05:26 AM
2005 Honda CR-V - Remove splash shield

In replacing a headlight, I dropped the headlight socket into the engine compartment. It is in the splash shield under the engine. I need to remove the splash shield, preferably without breaking things. Specifically, how do I get the clips out without breaking them? It's pretty cold here (mid 20s) and they are made of plastic. Do they just pull out? Or do I need a special tool?

Thanks in advance for any help you can give.

Sponsored Links
Old 01-13-10, 06:33 AM
Group Moderator
Well, there's a couple of different kinds; some merely push in and othrs are sort of like a plastic drywall anchor like you use to hang stuff on your walls, i.e. a two-piece arrangement where you push a core into a sleeve that makes the sleeve bulge out and lock the fastner in place. Either way there's about a 50-50 chance of breaking one or more (especially @20 degrees!), but most parts places carry a selection of different kinds and they're not terribly expensive.

Old 01-13-10, 06:44 AM
Can you see it? If so,maybe a pair of "mechanical fingers" might do it from the top.

Old 01-16-10, 09:53 AM
Nope, can't see it. I can almost touch it, though, so I think you're suggestion will work.

Thanks

Old 01-16-10, 09:57 AM
I think I have the two piece kind. After posting this I was able to find a place to order them from and I'll check local auto parts stores as well.

Thanks.

Old 01-16-10, 10:48 AM
Sounds like you might be able to use the mechanical fingers idea, if you can almost touch it. Needle nose pliers. Gotta love 'em.
Do those pushpins have a center that can be backed out with a screwdriver? If not, then you might try using a small screw and thread into the center core just enough to pull it out with pliers. Then the collar piece can be pried out easily.