scraping sound coming from passenger front tire

Old 01-15-10, 08:27 PM
scraping sound coming from passenger front tire

91 olds cutlass ceira the front passenger wheel has a scraping sound when applying the brakes. its loud when you first apply the brakes then after it warms up it quits down or goes away. it sounds like someone dragging a plastic bumper along the sidewalk. The brake pads and rotors were replaced in 08. it seamed to have happened after this last snowfall. The ball joint was replaced last year on the same wheel.

Sponsored Links
Old 01-16-10, 04:06 AM
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
You location on your profile leaves us guessing ( I think Pa.), but it could be snow/ice build up around your mud flaps, or in the wheel wells.

Old 01-16-10, 06:32 AM
close MI. we didn't get hit has hard as the midwest or NY. now would a air powered socket wrench have enough torque to remove the lugnuts(its not a impact gun). i do not have impact rated sockets but they standup well with the wrench.

Old 01-16-10, 09:09 AM
Forum Topic Moderator
I've never tried to remove lug nuts with my pneumatic ratchet, don't know if it would have enough torque. Don't you have a lug wrench to break them loose with? or a breaker bar?

Old 01-19-10, 08:25 PM
no the car was missing the lug wrench.

Old 01-19-10, 08:40 PM
nap
I would suggest it is a worn out brake pad. Especially when it is wet and even more so when there is salt on the roads, when a pad gets to down to the metal, it tends to rust quite quickly and first braking of the day can often be quite noisy. As the brakes are used, it grinds off and gets a bit quieter.

although I have had metallic pads do a very similar thing.

I would simply check the brakes to make sure it isn't a worn out pad.

hopefully less than that considering the weather but...

removing lugs with a pneumatic ratchet? You would have to break them free manually. I have had some pretty strong air ratchets through the years and I doubt any of them would break the lug nuts loose.

Old 01-26-10, 12:58 AM
well the brake pads and routers were replaced like 2 years ago. Anyway an update it sounds like its coming from the rear passenger side and not the front. the rear brakes are drum brakes the front are disk. have no idea when the rear brakes were changed if ever cause i never had them changed sense i owned the car(2007).

Old 01-26-10, 04:56 AM
Group Moderator
Three years is not a long time on rear brakes; they wear much less than the fronts, but I think you're going to need to pull both rear drums for a look-see.

Old 01-27-10, 02:34 AM
how hard is it to replace rear drum brakes incuding shoes and drum. there are 2 differn't drums one says to use with With JA2, JA8 brake system the other with JA1 brake system. whats the differnce. the one for the JA1 systems says i may need to cut the retaining clips with side cutters to remove the drum.

Old 01-27-10, 03:16 PM
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
Maybe the JA2 and 8 systems are far easier to back off the adjuster or something. ???

It is always good to remember that tip about shearing or cutting those (brake shoe) retaining (spring)clips when drums are worn so bad there is that big lip that gets formed that does not let you slide the drums off the expanded shoes.

Old 03-25-10, 03:36 PM
OK took it to a shop sense i got my tax refund. he said it needs new drums and shoes for both rear brakes I also wanted a oil change but they cannot get the filter off it's rusted shut. They would have to drop the oil pan to access it then install a new oil pan.$500 for that but said i can't afford that so just change the oil. So total for both new drums and shoes and oil change 320 out the door. if i was to pay by debit card he would have to charge me a hazardous waste charge of $40 so i will pay cash.

Old 03-26-10, 03:07 PM
What hazardous waste cost $40? Around here (PA), I don't believe there is a fee for used oil disposal; most sell it to a recycler and make money off of it.

Old 03-26-10, 08:52 PM
i wonder if it was the rear brakes. got the car back today. took a long time he got the wrong part twice then we had a power outage from 4:30Am to 10AM around 1800 homes and businesses without power(I think a transformer blew). they were the last to get it back. got the car back around 7-8PM he stayed open longer due to the blackout. Anyway he showed me the drums and shoes and they were really rusty.

Last edited by flirty1; 03-26-10 at 09:44 PM.

Search this Thread