Headlight lens

Old 01-17-10, 11:10 AM
B
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
Headlight lens

How do I remove and clean a headlight lens on a 1999 Lincoln Town Car?

Old 01-17-10, 11:42 AM
Super Moderator
Received 6 Upvotes on 6 Posts
If it's inside the lens...you probably don't. Normally it is oxidation on the reflector assy, which won't come off, or it is deposits on the inside of the clear lens which cannot be reached. I've heard of people trying to separate the clear lens from the plastic housing..normally something gets broken..or it leaks like a sieve after trying to seal it back together.

You might try a scrap of rag with some alcohol or windex on it held with long nose pliers or a grabber of some sort, but I wouldn't hold out much hope.

If it is scratches and oxidation on the exterior..there are any number of kits and polishes at most auto parts stores or online.

As to how to remove the whole housing..I'll have to let someone else answer.

Old 01-17-10, 11:42 AM
B
They sell headlight cleaning kits in auto parts stores. I used an electric drill to clean/buff my lights (with attachment provided in kit) and did not need to remove them.

Suddenly I could see again at night! (I thought my night vision was going out, but it was just that the plastic headlight lenses were yellowing...)

Old 01-18-10, 05:30 PM
R
When I cleaned my I bought a cheap scratch remover from an auto parts store, no need to spend money on a special kit. I followed the directions on the bottle and they turned out great. Then you can use the product on other scratches as well.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description: