1996 lumina injectors

Old 01-18-10, 07:52 AM
1996 lumina injectors

My 1996 lumina starts fine but has a rough idle with a squeaking noise coming from the drivebelt end of the engine. Repair books say to check the secondary resistance on the fuel injectors. I have done this and get a zero reading when there should be a reading of 11 to 14 ohms. What could cause this and what should i do to correct this? Also the serpentine belt is not the cause of the squealing. I took it off and got the same results. It also only squeals when the car is idling revving the rpms a little stops the squealing. Any suggestions would be helpful.

Sponsored Links
Old 01-18-10, 09:14 AM
daveman, does the repair book give you enough information
about what to disconnect, or were to place the probes?
Which setting are you using for this test?
Is the serpintine belt you removed to diagnose the squeel the only belt on your engine?
Is it a high pitched almost monotone squeel, or does it sound like a belt?

A question for the real mechanics - Ever heard a timing belt squeel?

Don't ya love it when some schmuck tries to answer your questions with more questions!

Old 01-18-10, 09:33 AM
Do you mean to say you are getting 0 ohms on every injector?

One simple test is to place a screwdriver on the injector while engine is operating. Place the other end of screwdriver against your ear. If you have one that sounds different than the others, that might well be your problem. You should hear a clicking noise.

A stethoscope with a probe on it works better but a long screwdriver will also work.

Old 01-18-10, 10:02 AM
96 lumina injectors

I am testing the connectors on the injectors. I am using a digital multimeter set to the ohms setting. there is only one belt on the motor. yes i get zero ohms at the injectors. Also get 12 volts constant at the connector end of the harness.

Old 01-18-10, 10:06 AM
Originally Posted by daveman234 View Post
I am testing the connectors on the injectors. I am using a digital multimeter set to the ohms setting. there is only one belt on the motor. yes i get zero ohms at the injectors. Also get 12 volts constant at the connector end of the harness.
Measure something of known resistance to see if the meter is working properly. If you put 12V across 0 ohm resistance terminals, something is going to fry.

Old 01-18-10, 10:15 AM
96 lumina injectors

The meter is working properly. Also i changed the alternator recently and during this process i touched the power steering lines while tightening the power wire to the alternator. Yeah i know i was supposed to disconnect the battery but we all do stupid things when in a hurry and angry. Could this have done something? I checked all fuses and relays and all are fine.

Old 01-18-10, 11:03 AM
Originally Posted by LawrenceC View Post
If you put 12V across 0 ohm resistance terminals, something is going to fry.
Nah, All he is saying is that when he tests the harness connectors that plug into the injectors, he is seeing expected power there. And then when he switches the meter to test ohms at the injectors, he's getting the 0 reading.

So, daveman, if your still with us, then trying the listening test that LawrenceC suggested sounds like a solid next step.

I don't think the alternator repair mishap did your injectors any harm. Or it would have shown up right away as an alternator problem.

Old 01-18-10, 11:18 AM
nap
what engine is this?

are you getting the same reading on all the injectors as you check them individually as in with the harness disconnected?

Old 01-18-10, 12:01 PM
96 lumina injectors

yes nap is correct i tested all injectors individually on the injectors. and get zero ohms. also the upper intake plenum is removed for easier access to the injectors and connectors. sorry for the confusion.

GOTTA SIGN OFF FOR NOW THANKS FOR ALL THE INPUT. Wife needs the computer now so i will check a few more things and post more later.

Last edited by daveman234; 01-18-10 at 12:26 PM.