Motor transplant

Old 01-20-10, 04:57 PM
D
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Motor transplant

Hi All
I need to replace a motor in a 2005 toyota corolla, it currently has a 1.8L (1zzfe) motor with an automatic transmission. While hunting on-line for a replacement motor from a local junkyard I see that they have one the same year with 90k on it or a 2007 with 24k on it. now the question.
Both motors are 1.8 (1zzfe) motors with automatic transmisions, is anything (to your knowledge) that would make this motor incompatable, OR do you know of any way or anywhere I can find out for sure that this motor would hook up with no additional problems....or should I stick to the same year motor (with the higher miles)
Thanks for any and all replies

Dodger

Sponsored Links
Old 01-20-10, 07:28 PM
The 07 motor should work you may have to use your bolt ons IE intake, exh , manifolds. brackets, ect ect.Toyota didn't redesign that till 09 so you will be safe since its out of the same model even if it came from a manuel you would only have to change out the flywheel for the flex plate.

Old 01-21-10, 05:03 AM
Group Moderator
Received 48 Votes on 38 Posts
I have to ask Dodger; what killed the current motor? Those Toys are pretty sturdy.

Old 01-21-10, 06:13 AM
F
Talk to a local scrap yard. They should have interchange books that will say some about if they are the same or different. Tempt them with beer or a bit of cash.

Old 01-21-10, 07:59 AM
D
yes it is true Tow Guy that these are pretty sturdy little engines, and to be totaly honest I don't know if it was a mechanical failure or owner neglect. Belongs to my girl friend who has good common sense and says she was not negligent on oil changes, first time I checked the oil though it was 2 1/2 qt's low (ouch) changed oil and sent her on her way, now it sucks down a qt every 300 miles (double ouch) smokes on start up but nothing (showing) after that, so I did the valve seals and same oil consumption please note that compression check was 180 all across the board. Noticed a lot of pressure out of valve cover when oil cap was off so I checked pcv and it was operating good....changed it anyway just because I enjoy banging my head against the wall. Outside of this I know not where to turn, if something is plugged I know not where to look, and if broken, I'm figuring replacing the motor is best way to go outside buying new car.
That is the best summary I can give at this time, any questions that may lead to a better move on my part before buying replacement I open...but soon as I plan on getting this motor this weekend

Dodger

Old 01-21-10, 09:04 AM
E
Dodger, before going into transplant surgery you might want to check with your local Toyota dealer and ask whether Toyota has issued any secret warranty policies on that motor. They have in the past issued 8 year coverage for example on sludge conditions on some motors even due to poor maintenance by owners just to keep happy customers. Not sure if your engine issue has been completely checked out as to the cause, and what the repair costs would be if say only one piston oil ring was stuck for example. Over the years there have been issues around consumption, particularly with the previous generation to yours, but as was said, these engines are usually pretty bullit proof, and go on forever as the critical component parts tend to be precision fit regarding upper and lower dimensional tolerances, and Toyota tends to get it right more often by building Globally many times more of each type than any engine built buy the D3.

Old 01-21-10, 09:33 AM
D
Equinox....I did that in a round-about way, by the sounds of it I went about it the wrong way. I am not a toyota mechanic so I suggested that she take it to the dealer and have them diagnose it. They said the motor was sludged up and needed a new motor ($7000 new-$3000 used) keep in mind she bought the car new from the dealer she took the car to for diagnosis. So I told her that I could find a used at the bone yard and do it myself ($800 with 24k on motor 2007 which started this whole post) are you suggeting that I go to a different dealer just bring vin number and ask about secret warranties ??? would save me a ton of work but I would hope the dealer that sold her the car (not to mention a few others) would have come across at that time....I'm still here listening to all suggestions

Dodger

Old 01-21-10, 10:48 AM
E
Dodger it might be worth one more try to find out about secret warranty policy possibilities. I won't comment on dealer behavior around these type of things, except to say that not all dealers are forthcoming like they could be either because they don't know themselves, or aren't interested in going the extra mile for you. Why not get the number of the dealer's zone or customer rep office at Toyota and ask them directly with the VIN number? In many cases these people can be very reasonable, and do have authority to make certain decisions that dealers can and will not. Maybe others on the forum can chime in also on whether there is any merit at all in trying some of the sludge cleaners on the market in an attempt to put things right, and to free things up. It does sound like at least one or more of the piston oil control rings is stuck. Those rings do not impact compression results but if stuck will allow oil to past through, and then go past the compression rings and into the combustion chamber. Toyota isn't the only manufacturer to have produces some engines with the wrong assumption that all owners will always follow the recommended maintenance around oil changes. Saab had issues too, and they have publically offered extended warranties for that same reason. My experience when dealing with OEM reps is that they like to have and keep happy customers, and for sure the Toyota people do. Hope it works out for you.

Old 01-21-10, 10:57 AM
Group Moderator
Received 48 Votes on 38 Posts
Google "Toyota engine sludge"; should keep you busy reading for about 6 months.

Note, however, that I don't think your particular engine is necessarily included on the supposed sludge-prone engines.

These were the affected engines:

1997-1999 Toyota Celica 4-cyl.
1997-2001 Toyota Camry 4-cyl.
1997-2002 Toyota Camry and Avalon V6
2001-2002 Toyota Highlander V6
1998-2002 Toyota Sienna V6
1999-2001 Toyota Solara 4-cyl.
1999-2002 Toyota Solara V6
1997-2002 Lexus ES300
1999-2002 Lexus RX300

This is another list of the prone engines:

Audi A4 1998-2004 1.8L four-cylinder turbo
Chrysler Concorde 1998-2005 2.7L V6
Chrysler Sebring 1998-2005 2.7L V6
Dodge Intrepid 1998-2005 2.7L V6
Dodge Stratus 1998-2005 2.7L V6
Lexus ES300 1997-2005 3.0L V6
Lexus RX300 1999-2005 3.0L V6
Saab 9-3 2000-2004 2.0L four-cylinder turbo
Saab 9-5 1999-2004 2.3L four-cylinder turbo
Toyota Avalon 1997-2005 3.0L V6
Toyota Camry/ Solara 1997-2005 2.2L four-cylinder or 3.0L V6
Toyota Celica 1997-2005 2.2L four-cylinder
Toyota Highlander 2001-2005 3.0L V6
Toyota Sienna 1997-2005 3.0L V6
Volkswagen Passat 1998-2005 1.8L four-cylinder turbo

Old 01-21-10, 04:05 PM
R
engine swap

I would look around for a girlfriend with a newer car. They all work the same.

Old 01-22-10, 06:31 PM
D
got a lot of good stuff from all of you thanks...a little trouble on getting the motor this weekend but depending on what year motor I get I will follow up so you will know if there are any "glitches" that you might find interesting
To Equinox, called the toyota rep, they took down all the info and said that currently there is no warrantie or call back but it sounds an awful lot like the sludge motor problem they had once before (or at least once), recomended cleaners to the engine and saving all reciepts in case there is a future recall and we would be reimbersed.
Thanks agian to all................Dodger