2001 Ford Taurus

Old 01-22-10, 08:01 PM
2001 Ford Taurus

Ok I'm back yet again with this piece of junk car. It's a 2001 Ford Taurus 3.0l Flex Fuel V-6. Finally got car running smooth as silk, no misses, or anything, thanks to me replacing the coil pack. Had CK Engine light extinguished. Light came back on few days later. Code that came back was CAM SENSOR CIRCUIT BANK 1 FAULT. Has brand new CAM sensor on it. Still throws same code. Put old cam sensor back on, throws same code. Called auto part place they mention to back track ALL the wiring from CAM sensor to the ECU. Where the heck is the ECU in this car located? It is a friends car, VERY tight budget, can't afford to go and buy a Ford Service manual. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Sponsored Links
Old 01-23-10, 06:01 AM
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
Did drive enough after replacing the cam sensor for the light to go off. These check engine lights typically do not go off as soon as the problem has cleared.

I would take it to the autozone, have them clear the code, then go from there.

Old 01-23-10, 06:11 AM
Group Moderator
But to answer the question, most likely locations would be under a front seat, under the dash in the area behind the glovebox, or behind the kick panel on the pax side.

Old 01-23-10, 07:57 AM
Do try clearing the code first.

Then I would not attempt to fix this problem without the factory service manual set and complete factory wiring diagrams.

These would tell me in detail exactly what that code means and show me all the associated wiring and their locations.

Then most importantly say what readings I should get when testing these wires with a multimeter.

Sometimes "internet codes" as looked up on the internet or what an auto parts store may tell you can be completely different for what it says in the factory service manual set. (This is usually with pre 1996 vehicles though.)

Then say I find the ECM and the wires going to this sensor. And say I read 6 ohms on those wires? Is that what it should be? Or does that indicate a problem? The factory manual would say what it should be. Say what wires to test, etc.

Also for replacing certain electrical parts, there sometimes will be procedures to follow to "reset" things or "relearn" the ECM. This also would be in the factory books when following the part replacement instructions.

Old 01-23-10, 08:17 AM
Originally Posted by crazycory22 View Post
Ok I'm back yet again with this piece of junk car.
over a dented oil pan and engine light? My dainty little ears!

Nowadays we put the ECU inside the passenger side firewall ledge, that area between the firewall and the windshield.
So that's another possible location for this car. But "trace the wires back" is rather vague instruction without having access to the proper schematics and test instructions.

I believe that certain trouble codes don't get generated at the first impulse of a fault, the computer is programmed to show only persistant conditions. After fixing the issue the code is cleared, or the computer is allowed to accumulate enough data to show that "problem fixed" is a persistant condition.

Last edited by mickblock; 01-23-10 at 08:44 AM. Reason: Remove TMI
Old 01-23-10, 09:52 AM
To Hot: The light came back on about 2 days later after it was reset each time, both times with the same code.

To Bill190: I did have Autozone clear the code. It came back about two days later. And I DIDN'T get the code from the internet. It was STATED on the Autozone scan tool

To Mickblock: He's had several other problems other than the cam sensor and the dented oil pan.

Old 01-23-10, 01:11 PM
This might be a long shot, but poor oil maintenance or too heavy an oil grade may trigger the cam sensor code. This is a commonly known problem with the 2.0L Duratech. The cam positioning solenoid is sensitive to sludged or heavy oil. If it doesn't work properly, a cam sensor code is tripped.

Of course I'm assuming that these two engines share the same cam positioning design.

Old 01-23-10, 03:27 PM
What is the code # & what engine is it??? It must be the Vulcan engine if it had a dent in the oil pan as the Duratec has a cast alumunium pan... If so, the discription of the code is incorrect as the 3.0l Vulcan only has 1 cam position sensor... Inside what used to be the distrubator... Retest & post the code & we'll go from here..

Old 01-23-10, 03:55 PM
Originally Posted by Kestas View Post
This might be a long shot, but poor oil maintenance or too heavy an oil grade may trigger the cam sensor code. This is a commonly known problem with the 2.0L Duratech. The cam positioning solenoid is sensitive to sludged or heavy oil. If it doesn't work properly, a cam sensor code is tripped.

Of course I'm assuming that these two engines share the same cam positioning design.
never heard of a 2.0l tauri and never heard of sludge problems either on the tauri.

Old 01-24-10, 09:06 AM
The 2.0L I referred to is on the Ford ZX2 from that era.
Sludge problems can occur on any engine from owner neglect.