cretebirch

Old 01-23-10, 01:12 PM
C
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
cretebirch

1997 pontiac bonneville se car starts fine will shift into gear fine however when car is allowed to warm/idle for a few minutes car will not shift into gear unless you shut car off and restart ps car shifts however transmission willnot respond unless you restart car

Old 01-23-10, 02:46 PM
B
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
If this was my car, the name of the game would be to try to keep from going into bankruptcy having the transmission repaired!

I would first check the transmission fluid.

Then if the level was ok, but the fluid looked strange, I would try changing the transmission fluid and filter.

If that did not work... Many automatic transmissions these days have electrical and electronic components. I would look in a factory service manual description of operation to learn how these electrical things made the transmissions work...

Look at the troubleshooting section and see if it could be an electrical problem or electrical component. Then test these things to be sure they are working as they should be.

Also examine any wiring to the transmission and be sure the connectors were clean and snug.

If that didn't work, I would get out my checkbook and head off to the transmission shop (mechanical problem)...

Old 01-24-10, 07:29 AM
Group Moderator
Received 250 Upvotes on 202 Posts
If you have the capability to read check engine codes, wouldn't hurt to see if anything is stored. You didn't mention how many miles are on it.

As Bill suggests you may have some electrical/electronic gremlins that could take some $eriou$ trouble$hooting to find.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description: