'98 chevy astro no start

Old 01-23-10, 03:22 PM
'98 chevy astro no start

Van was running perfectly, now it won't start. It's a '98 astro 4.3L V6. Cranks strong but won't catch. Battery is fully charged, I have spark at the distributor, brand new fuel filter, I can hear fuel pump running when key is turned, full gas tank. I checked for fuel pressure by opening the shrader valve both before and after I changed the fuel filter. There is pressure in the line and fuel squirts out when the valve is opened. I checked and cleaned the distributor cap and rotor. Seems fine. I checked the air filter, which was filthy, and then tried starting it without the filter installed. Still a no-go.
Then it got too dark to work. Any more ideas? I'm going to try taking off the ignition coil tomorrow and testing it with an ohm meter. If not that, then I'll probably look at the injectors. I was hoping someone could give me some other ideas. Thanks in advance.

Sponsored Links
Old 01-23-10, 04:19 PM
remember the basics, do you have spark, air, fuel?, you said spark at the distributer, did you pull a plug wire and check for spark at the plug, install a plug in the boot and ground the side and see if you have a good strong spark, next install a fuel pressure guage, make sure the pressure is in specs, then when the key is switched on and you try cranking spray some carb cleaner into the air intake if it coughs or starts and dies you have a injector problem if the fuel pressure is good. check the ingnition timeing, see if you can find a timeing mark and set the no 1 cylinder to tdc, then pull your distributor capand check that the rotor is at no 1 position if not rotate the engine 1 revolution and see if it is at no 1 now if not did it rotate at all, you might have jumped time.

murphy was an optimist

Old 01-28-10, 07:56 AM
Well, it turned out to be moisture in the PCM (Powertrain Control Module). When thinking back over the symptoms, I kept coming back to the fact that it had been cold and damp the entire time I was having the problem. I had already checked the distributor for moisture, and there was none. After cranking the van in darkness I was certain that the plugs/wires weren't arcing. My buddy said "maybe the computer is wet and shorting out". I checked the PCM and saw a gap between the two halves of the plastic casing. I got my wife's electric blow dryer and turned it on the PCM for a few minutes. When I turned the key it fired right up. Now I've covered the gap in the box with electrical tape to hold out the moisture. The van has been starting and running fine for the last several days. Hopefully, that's the end of it. I just thought I'd post the solution in case anyone runs into a similar problem.