Backing Grime Plate on Jeep Liberty

Old 01-26-10, 05:38 AM
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Backing Grime Plate on Jeep Liberty

I have an 06 Jeep Liberty. I was changing the ebrake shoes on the rear and noticed the backing plate isnt affixed to anything. I figure it rotted off or something. I looked to see how it would be affixed and cant find anything. All I see are three hole in it and when pushed into place where the holes line up there are three "nipples" just barely poke through. Anybody know how the plate would affix? There are no visible bolts or anything that looks like a bolt or where one would go. Any help would be greatly appreciated!!

Sponsored Links
Old 01-26-10, 10:29 PM
The bolts that hold the support plate are under the axle shaft and you have to remove it to access them. I think the dimples you see are broken spot welds that attach the backing plate/dust cover to this or the bolts themselves have rotted out.Do you have the axle removed? If not then broken spot welds are my bet on this problem. If thats the case you will either have to pull the axle and replace the plate or get it welded depending on clearances that may be able to do on the vehical if you have a small wire feed. If not pulling and taking it or replacing are about the only options.

Old 01-27-10, 02:37 PM
Originally Posted by Maniac Mechanic View Post
The bolts that hold the support plate are under the axle shaft and you have to remove it to access them. I think the dimples you see are broken spot welds that attach the backing plate/dust cover to this or the bolts themselves have rotted out.Do you have the axle removed? If not then broken spot welds are my bet on this problem. If thats the case you will either have to pull the axle and replace the plate or get it welded depending on clearances that may be able to do on the vehical if you have a small wire feed. If not pulling and taking it or replacing are about the only options.
Thanks, got it. Riveted in and they were broken. I spot welded them back on and all seems good.