HID headlight builbs

Old 01-27-10, 07:41 AM
HID headlight builbs

Ok so i ordered a pair of HID xenon headlights. it says no HID kit required and only works in cars that do not have a factory or aftermarket HID kit installed. these are the bulbs in question. after reading around online Are they street legal or should i toss them. im only out $10 if there illegal. the ad says E-Mark & DOT Approved (50 State Street Legal) EDIT looking online at real HID bulbs and this one I think these are fake and are illegal.

Sponsored Links
Old 01-27-10, 10:27 AM
You would need to check your local state laws. Try the DMV web site for your state.

Old 01-27-10, 10:36 AM
don't have one its merged with the SOS(secretary of state) website and nothing comes up when i search HID headlights. search headlights you get 1001 pages about when to use headlights what to do in bad weather ETC ETC ETC. im in michigan

Old 01-27-10, 11:16 AM
Laws can be impossible and frustrating to find!

But I'm sure somewhere there is something which says the basic requirements of a vehicle.

Maybe the word headlights.

Or lights.

For my state the law is: "Vehicle Equipment: Lights"

Then on that page is: "816.050 Headlights; rules"

Here is that page for Oregon...
Chapter 816 Vehicle Equipment: Lights

Old 01-27-10, 11:53 AM
Super Moderator
Heres the easy answer...those are NOT HID lamps....that would require replacement of the housing, probably new wiring, electronic ballasts..etc,etc.

They have some sort of blue coating to give them a similar appearance...but they will probably put out LESS actual light then standard halogen bulbs. You can get the same sort of thing at any parts store....they call them Silver Star or Blue Star or similar.

Put 'em in if you want..at the most you'll prob get a fixit ticket...if they do those in MI. I think the blue bulbs just make people look like wannabe's. You can tell real HID lighting from the poseurs.

Old 01-27-10, 04:10 PM
Originally Posted by Gunguy45 View Post
Heres the easy answer...those are NOT HID lamps....that would require replacement of the housing, probably new wiring, electronic ballasts..etc,etc.

They have some sort of blue coating to give them a similar appearance...but they will probably put out LESS actual light then standard halogen bulbs. You can get the same sort of thing at any parts store....they call them Silver Star or Blue Star or similar.

Put 'em in if you want..at the most you'll prob get a fixit ticket...if they do those in MI. I think the blue bulbs just make people look like wannabe's. You can tell real HID lighting from the poseurs.

figures thats way there so cheep. I guess all those people who left the seller + feedback can't tell there fake. I'll order the GE nighthawk lights. there like the silverstar ultra.

Old 01-27-10, 07:22 PM
Originally Posted by flirty1 View Post
figures thats way there so cheep. I guess all those people who left the seller + feedback can't tell there fake. I'll order the GE nighthawk lights. there like the silverstar ultra.
out of curiosity what is the K limit in michigan. can't find nothing online.

Old 01-27-10, 07:48 PM
nap
Originally Posted by flirty1 View Post
don't have one its merged with the SOS(secretary of state) website and nothing comes up when i search HID headlights. search headlights you get 1001 pages about when to use headlights what to do in bad weather ETC ETC ETC. im in michigan

Michigan Legislature - Home

Old 01-27-10, 08:34 PM
They aren't fake they are zenon charged halogens so yes they are street legal.However true HIDs have no filement in them and work kind of like a flouresent bulb the gas inside is what makes the light thats why they need a ballast to run them. So if you were looking for the deep blue bright lights those are HID what you have is a halogen bulb filled with zenon gas that is not as bright or blue as HID but cheaper and last as long as a normal halogen bulb.Depends on what you were looking for.HID's are supposed to last up to three times longer than halogens and do provide aprox. three times brighter light at less power draw on the vehicals elect system.Hope that helps you

Old 01-28-10, 05:43 PM
OK well got the lights today. Installed one first then tested and it does look more white then the old lights which have the standard yellow that standard headlights have. they do look like there brighter so will we how they perform tomorrow when i go to work. I couldn't see with the old ones it was like they weren't even on.

Old 01-29-10, 10:17 PM
they work better then the old ones. these are just like the sylvina silverstar ultra lights just generic i guess. They shine farther and wider then the old lights.

Old 01-30-10, 10:43 AM
My lights on my car were quite dim. I thought this was because I was getting older and could not see at night anymore...

Then I read about cleaning the plastic lens in front of the lights. These turn yellow with age.

Cleaning these never occurred to me. Never had to do that before with glass lenses. Not a maintenance item.

Anyway I cleaned my plastic headlight lenses with a headlight lens cleaning kit I got at an auto parts store. Suddenly I could see at night again!

Then I bought a truck with a big crack in the windshield. I had it replaced. And I noticed I could see much better at night with the new windshield...

I then noticed the windshield on my car had zillions of tiny pits in it and this reflected oncoming car lights. (Glare) Anyway I had that replaced too, and it is like I am 20 years old again with my night vision!