Jeep Idler Pulley bolt Stuck!

Old 05-01-06, 11:28 AM
F
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
Jeep Idler Pulley bolt Stuck!

I have a '93 Jeep Grand Cherokee 4.OL engine with 165,000 miles on it. The lower idler pulley's bearing failed completely (ball bearings on the garage floor). The bolt holding the pulley just turns in place in both directions. Any ideas to get the bolt out? Has anybody experienced anything like this?

Thanks

Old 05-01-06, 03:40 PM
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
Originally Posted by farzad
I have a '93 Jeep Grand Cherokee 4.OL engine with 165,000 miles on it. The lower idler pulley's bearing failed completely (ball bearings on the garage floor). The bolt holding the pulley just turns in place in both directions. Any ideas to get the bolt out? Has anybody experienced anything like this?

Thanks
Hmmmm. That bolt should go through a sleeve that rotates in the center of the bearing assembly. Can you locate a nut on the back side that you need to hold onto? Obviously the bolt can't be just bolted into the engine block or strap of metal, because then if the bolt was turning, it would unscrew. Unless!.... The only other posibility is that it WAS bolted into solid metal and the bolt sheared off and is simply locked inside the inner sleeve of the bearing. If THAT is true, then the idler pulley could maybe just be forcably pryed off....bolt and all. But you have to make the determination of what the bolt is going into: A nut on the backside...or...solid metal part of engine. Determining this will help you determine which action to take. You may need a bright light and mechanics mirror that telescopes to peer behind the idler pulley to see how it is secured per what I have said.

If the bolt did sheer off in solid metal on the back side, which could have happened when the bearing seized up, obviously that will mean that once the pulley gets yanked off, you will have to drill out the bolt in the block/metal and possibly re-tap it/clean up the female threads..

As another resort, you may want to call up an auto parts store, or as many as it takes, and see if they can maybe assist you with ideas. Obviously you could call up the Jeep garage, but you are probably too embarrased to try to get free info out of them.

Old 02-03-10, 05:12 AM
S
Déjà vu

I have exactly the same problem with my 1995 GC 4.0 liter 6 cyclinder. I wish I knew how to get the lower idler pulley through bolt out. I wish I knew how this thresd ended. It was cold, dark, and snowning last night while I was trying to remove the bolt, I am sure it's a through bolt - I felt the backside turning while I was turning the head, but I can not tell what size the nut is on the back side. I am thinking of removing the alternator and ac compressor to get a better look. My pulley has disintegrated but I am trouble unbolting it.

Old 02-03-10, 12:25 PM
P
I would try the same size wrench you are using on the head of the bolt and see what happens. Have you been soaking it with penetrating oil?

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description: