update "what a fiasco this rebuilt engine is"

Old 02-04-10, 07:30 AM
B
Upvotes: 0
Received 13 Upvotes on 13 Posts
update "what a fiasco this rebuilt engine is"

This is an update to an earlier posting I wrote concerning valve train/engine noises with a remanufactured engine.

I talked to Jasper and they want to refund my money for engine and labor. They asked that I get an engine somewhere else and return the core to them. I said I would rather them replace the engine, since they have a good reputation. The guy implied that I would keep on insisting normal engine noises were defects if they gave me a new engine and the complaints would go on and on.

I have to see if they are prepared to refund everything that is coming to me. Whatever I decide, they will get a letter

Anybody know any other reputable engine remanufacturers?

Old 02-04-10, 07:33 AM
N
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
i tend to agree with 'jasper'
you may be obsessed with normal noises.
why don't you just drive it?

Old 02-04-10, 07:43 AM
B
Received 13 Upvotes on 13 Posts
Read my original posting. Another mechanic listened also and heard abnormal noises. Not just a frivolous complaint. I have observed this for a long time.

Old 02-04-10, 02:03 PM
Super Moderator
Received 6 Upvotes on 6 Posts
Go for it...and yes there are many reputable rebuilders...though maybe not national. Also..plenty of places will put in used engines and give you a warranty...sometimes that may be a great deal. Find a basket case body wise and get the motor out.

Wait...you mean they said they don't want their engine back? Just find another and send that back? Get your money back AND keep their engine? Well...I gotta tell ya..that sounds like a pretty durn good deal to me! If thats not it...I guess it WOULD depend somewhat on how much they want to refund....but seriously...if you read closely..I bet their only liability is to replace the engine or refund your purchase price. If they are willing to refund price and install labor...I think I'd take it.

Also...w/o checking...wasn't this like a 1990 or something? How much time and aggravation do you really want to sink into it?

IIRC one of the problems may have been piston slap? Some makes seem to have that built in and run fine for years and years.

Old 02-04-10, 04:48 PM
J
If no one from Jasper has listened to the engine someone told them the noise you are hearing is normal and we could only assume that is your mechanic. Now, if you say another tech said there was an issue, Jasper should listen. Take the money, get another engine and maybe another shop.

Old 02-07-10, 05:16 AM
R
A great remanufactured engine is from Marshall Engines. This company is out of Kearney NE and has been building engines for a long time. They have a great warranty and stand behind their product. You can get their engines from Napa or Advanced, or from them directly.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description: