vibration in rear while stopped

Old 02-04-10, 05:37 PM
J
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
vibration in rear while stopped

Alright, I got a 1994 Chevy Suburban K1500 and generally when I'm stopped at a red light (usually on a small slope), the rear of the vehicle has a vibration which is quite loud. Thought it was originally the rear end but then when it went out and we replaced it with another one, the vibration continued. What is going on here? In the old rear end the problem was the pin holding the spider gears found it's way out and dropped so we thought that had to do with the vibration but apparently not. Any help would be great!

Sponsored Links
Old 02-04-10, 05:57 PM
R
ok, lets break it down.

You said its only when you are stopped right?

That eliminates driveshaft, rear end, leaf springs, shocks, wheels. pretty much only leaves exaust. what most likely happened is a hanger braket either dryrotted or broke off.

Test this theory by starting the vehicle and slide under there and check for the noise. bang on the exhaust alittle and see if the rattle gets worse. If so then track the abnormaly and replace, theyre not too expensive and very easy to change, no tools required.

Old 02-04-10, 06:10 PM
J
I shouldve been more clear when I said stopped........I meant when in drive holding the brake down. Sorry for not being clear.

Old 02-04-10, 06:13 PM
R
ahh ok well.... hmmmm, lemme do some research and talk to a couple of guys at my shop and ill get back to you

Old 02-04-10, 06:20 PM
J
Does not do it in Park or neutral but does it in drive and reverse.

Old 02-04-10, 06:36 PM
What happens when you let off the brake? Does it go away as soon as you start to move or does it remain awhile after you creep into idle speed? How does it handle accelerating from a stop?
Sounds like your torque converter isn't coming out of lockup.

Old 02-04-10, 09:26 PM
I have to agree with Rednecksputter... It's very common for heat shields for the exhaust to come loose & the vibrations from the engine running will make them rattle.... I assume it's a "tinny" kinda noise??? Roger

Old 02-05-10, 06:33 AM
L
Probably something to do with exhaust. When stopped and left in gear, idle speed is lowest. The engine is exciting a natural frequency in the exhaust line or in a heat shield like previous posters noted. Something has loosened. Sounds minor to me, no pun intended.

Vehicle has good ground clearance so it should be easy to move about under vehicle to locate it. I'd get under it with engine running with someone you can trust holding vehicle with foot on brake yet in gear. Just don't get path of wheels.
Put chocks on both sides of all 4 wheels if that makes you feel better about it.

I realize this is potentially dangerous but you'll be able to localize the noise quickly.