95 Subaru Legacy ABS brake relay chatter

Old 02-07-10, 06:59 AM
95 Subaru Legacy ABS brake relay chatter

Relay started chattering even with ignition off, unpluging it only way to stop it. Replace relay? Oh, it's been very cold here in State College and the emergency brake light has been comming on before the car warms up. Also,I plowed through 16 inches of snow a few times.

Last edited by szm200; 02-07-10 at 07:45 AM.
Sponsored Links
Old 02-07-10, 08:07 AM
The only thing I can think of is one of the electrical connectors got wet and maybe froze. Might try removing the electrical connectors and using a hair blow dryer to dry them out.

Or park in a heated garage for a few days if possible to let things dry out.

Electronic gizmos will do strange things if there is a short between connections due to a liquid or if a connection is not making good contact.

For example if you have ever seen someone spill coffee on a computer keyboard, all sorts of weird things happen.

Old 02-07-10, 08:23 AM
Thanks so much, that makes a lot of sense, will wait for a warm day and plug it back in.
By the way, in my business I routinely use non-residue contact cleaner to clean connectors, works good. I ran my TV remote though the washer and sprayed it with this stuff available at Radio Shack and after drying it worked fine.

Last edited by szm200; 02-07-10 at 08:54 AM.