rinse different fluid inside turkey baster

Old 02-07-10, 11:02 AM
rinse different fluid inside turkey baster

I just use turkey baster to see the color of break fluid in the reservoir. The fluid is dark shade, but it is clean and clear to see through. I only taking fluid from the top of the reservoir because the turkey baster can only go in so far. I am thinking about using the same turkey baster to check the power steering fluid in the reservoir. What can I use to rinse the turkey baster?

Sponsored Links
Old 02-07-10, 11:06 AM
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
Throw the turkey baster away. The brake fluid and power steering fluid have soaked into the plastic and won't come out. Next time use the dip stick on the power steering fluid reservoir and since the brake fluid reservoir is clear plastic, just look through it. Unless you introduce dirt, the two should stay clean. If you have a question, have them bled and refreshed.

Old 02-07-10, 11:19 AM
The color of the brake fluid in the caliper, where the action takes place, will be much, much darker than what you find in the reservoir. Reservoir fluid tells you little. If it the slightest bit dark, what comes out of the caliper will look like Coca Cola.

Old 02-07-10, 11:30 AM
The brake fluid is glycol base and soluble with water and the power steering fluid is soluble with petroleum product.
I would flush with water then flush with fresh power steering fluid if you have any.
Should be close enough then to use in the power steering unit.
Besides done carefully, the suction of the baster should have the fluid only go into the baster.

Old 02-07-10, 12:49 PM
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
Yeah, but you can't baste a turkey after you do all that, can you????? Or would you?

Old 02-07-10, 03:07 PM
I think the OP was worried about contamination of the power steering fluid from the turkey baster after use on the brake system.
After flushing out, I doubt a cross contamination risk exists.
I would throw it out right after because the rubber of the baster is sure to be in the process of disintegrating after use on those two fluids.
You are right chandler I think
That basters days of turkey basting are done.
That basters days of doing anything are done.
I would say that by the time the OP gets back to us the rubber of the baster is deteriorating to pieces.
Done it

Old 02-08-10, 01:05 PM
I agree with those that say this isn't necessary. However, if I were going to do it I would use a plastic straw. Stick a clean new straw into reservoir, put your finger over the end to create a vacuum and remove. Put the fluid on something, like a glass slide in chemistry class , to check color. Throw straw away.