Leaky windshield, doors and trunk

Reply

  #1  
Old 02-07-10, 07:59 PM
Member
Thread Starter
Join Date: Feb 2008
Location: OHIO
Posts: 36
Leaky windshield, doors and trunk

I have a 1992 Olds 88 and almost all the black foam around the doors, windows,and trunk are all loose. This is letting alot of water in. It has been very cold and the inside of my windshields and windows are frosted on the inside.

Can I replace the black foam and/or seal it. How would I do either? What type of sealant should I use?

Thanks so much!!
 
Sponsored Links
  #2  
Old 02-08-10, 04:17 AM
Member
Join Date: Jan 2006
Location: Owen Sound Ontario Canada
Posts: 541
I would try to glue it back on first if it is not damaged.
Go to auto parts store and ask for weather stripping adhesive.
Follow directions.
I weather stripping is real bad damaged then I would go to scrap yard and get that section that is in need of replacement then use the adhesive to put it on
 
  #3  
Old 02-08-10, 10:10 PM
mobile_man's Avatar
Member
Join Date: Jan 2007
Location: USA
Posts: 80
No personal experience with replacing the black foam, but from reading it's a hassle. Almost easier to replace the door itself.
If you want sources for the black foam, you have a few options:
-GM dealer in your town.
-Websites such as Ebay, gmpartshouseusa dot com or JC Whitney may have it.
-local junkyard. From 92 - 99, it's the same body style. Let's say you find an 1998 model year. Depending how much they want, you may be able to get an entire door cheaper (or both doors) for not much more than the weather stripping. Plus you get a chance to inspect before you buy from a newer car.

Probably not what you wanted to hear. HTH!
 
  #4  
Old 02-09-10, 12:19 AM
automd's Avatar
Member
Join Date: Oct 2009
Location: Indiana, USA
Posts: 38
i've heard of a silicone adhesive you may use but i agree, replacing these foams are a huge pain. or you can bring it to your local garage, but ill bet it wont be cheap.
 
  #5  
Old 02-09-10, 06:08 AM
Member
Join Date: Oct 2008
Posts: 1,312
For an old truck, I needed just the plastic strip at the bottom of a roll down window and it was $115 for just that part!
 
  #6  
Old 02-09-10, 07:36 AM
Member
Join Date: Mar 2006
Location: USA
Posts: 269
Originally Posted by mobile_man View Post
No personal experience with replacing the black foam, but from reading it's a hassle. Almost easier to replace the door itself.
If you want sources for the black foam, you have a few options:
-GM dealer in your town.
-Websites such as Ebay, gmpartshouseusa dot com or JC Whitney may have it.
-local junkyard. From 92 - 99, it's the same body style. Let's say you find an 1998 model year. Depending how much they want, you may be able to get an entire door cheaper (or both doors) for not much more than the weather stripping. Plus you get a chance to inspect before you buy from a newer car.

Probably not what you wanted to hear. HTH!
Are we talking about the WEATHERSTRIP here? What's so hard about replacing weatherstrip? Easier to replace the door?!!! If the weatherstrip is just loose get some weatherstrip adhesive and glue it back in place. If it is all torn up you will probably need to replace it, (the weatherstrip, not the door!!!)
 
  #7  
Old 02-09-10, 10:11 AM
Member
Join Date: Oct 2005
Location: Michigan
Posts: 170
Originally Posted by SLJ2137694 View Post
Are we talking about the WEATHERSTRIP here? What's so hard about replacing weatherstrip? Easier to replace the door?!!! If the weatherstrip is just loose get some weatherstrip adhesive and glue it back in place. If it is all torn up you will probably need to replace it, (the weatherstrip, not the door!!!)
I guess we won't know until Bonnie2008 provides some more information.
 
  #8  
Old 02-23-10, 01:40 PM
Member
Thread Starter
Join Date: Feb 2008
Location: OHIO
Posts: 36
Originally Posted by Polydorus View Post
I guess we won't know until Bonnie2008 provides some more information.

Sorry! I meant weatherstriping-my bad! The black weatherstriping is very loose. I will try the weather striping adhesive.

Thanks to everyone for their help-appreciate it.
 
  #9  
Old 02-23-10, 06:39 PM
Join Date: Jan 2007
Location: North Central Indiana
Posts: 912
weather strip

Just dont try to do this in a cold environment.
 
  #10  
Old 02-23-10, 07:12 PM
Member
Join Date: Feb 2010
Posts: 2
thats not good hope it works out for you.
 
  #11  
Old 02-26-10, 06:00 AM
Member
Join Date: Dec 2005
Location: ma
Posts: 97
i believe that bonnie2000 is talking more about the door weather seals that go around the body opening not seals on the door. those seals shrink and leak through the seal at where seal goes on bodypinch weld. what i remember is they get loose and hang at corner bend .take off seal around opening and repinch togetherthen apply weather adhesive on both frame and into pinnched opening,start at top corner and work your way around pushing with pressure,you will end up with a gap at bottom middle of pinch weld. thats if you want cheapest fix . this may slow the water down .when warmer weather comes water test and if not corrected you will need new gaskets.the trunk is a whole new ballgame.these cars leak in different spots, they leak at body seams along trunk and behind tail lights also at seam on pinchweld under glass.i can tell you how to water test and soap/air test if you want to repair yourself.
 
Reply

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off


Thread Tools
Search this Thread
Display Modes