frt brakes smoking

Old 02-11-10, 10:15 AM
Post frt brakes smoking

Have a 91 Chevy truck, seems frt brake is locking and smelling and causing lots of smoke. Any ideas?

Sponsored Links
Old 02-11-10, 10:25 AM
Forum Topic Moderator
Welcome to the forums!

Can you pull the wheel and inspect it? How have the brakes been up to this point? Do you have a good pedal?

Old 02-11-10, 10:28 AM
not really, had this problem and replaced brake pads, hen it started again and rotor busted, changed rotor and pad again and still same issue.

Old 02-11-10, 10:31 AM
Forum Topic Moderator
Is the the caliper sticking? How long was it between pad changes?

Old 02-11-10, 10:39 AM
they were changed in aug 09, the truck is only driven about 10 miles a day, not much and the new pads lasted til dec 09. Truck was not driven in Dec or Jan, just changed the rotor and pad last weekend and first time driving starts smoking and locking up. How can i tell if the caliper is sticking?

Old 02-11-10, 10:45 AM
Forum Topic Moderator
If the caliper is sticking, the brake will always be on. Can you spin the wheel [when it's off the ground] with your hand? When you drive and apply the brakes does it veer to the side in question? or maybe even without the brake applied?

Old 02-11-10, 11:02 AM
Group Moderator
One of the common causes of the sticking is a bad brake hose and your truck is certainly old enough to need them replaced, so you might consider changing them both.

Old 02-11-10, 11:16 AM
When you changed out the pads did you clean up the calipers well and remember to grease the sliders? If so, it probably is the hose.

Old 02-11-10, 02:43 PM
Forum Topic Moderator
I know a collapsed brake hose will wear out a pad prematurely but would that keep them locked up as I presume the OP's brakes are?

Old 02-11-10, 03:12 PM
When brake hoses get old they swell on the inside, and in some cases will let fluid under master cylinder pressure go into the caliper piston, but not flow back the other way and can hold enough pressure to significantly drag the brakes. Depending on the condition of the calipers it might be time to replace both hoses and calipers as well, and bleed and refresh the fluid while you are doing it. When it comes to brakes, it is never worth compromising to try and save a few dollars. The parts aren't all that expensive as a DIY project compared to the alternative.

Old 02-11-10, 03:36 PM
My GF's daughter had a destroyed right caliper. I replaced pads, calipers, rotors both sides. 4 to 8 weeks later I found out her boyfriend put pads on it again. I was thinking that dink! He has no idea of what to do. Less than 4 weeks later she had a noise coming from the brakes and her Mom told her to stop by their mechanics shop.

It was the brake hoses. I forgot the term it was called as I had never heard of this before.

90 Nissan

Old 02-12-10, 06:19 AM
Yup, very likely to be either the slide pins or the brake hose.

Make sure you use the correct lubricant on the slide pins. Using the wrong one can cause them to seize. My favorite is Permatex 24110.

Alternatively, you could just buy a reman caliper. I've had good luck with A1 Cardone reman calipers.

- Joe

Search this Thread