different kinds of oil

Old 02-21-10, 11:24 AM
different kinds of oil

I was wondering how I determine what is the best oil for my car. The owners manual states to use 5w 30, but is that the best to use where the temps range from 0 F. to 100 F. ?
Also what about synthetic blends, is it okay to switch to a synthetic blend?, I've heard people say its best to stick with what your using. And lastly I always figured the different brands of oil were similar enough to not worry about, but does anybody have any facts that one brand is beter than another?

Sponsored Links
Old 02-21-10, 02:36 PM
This has as many answers as asking people what beer to drink,, LOL,,, I'd use what the owners manual states & go with the Severe Duty service schedule... You may want to tell people what you have for a car & engine,, than wait to see the Oil discussion start!!! LOL Roger

Old 02-21-10, 06:55 PM
Originally Posted by hopkinsr2 View Post
... You may want to tell people what you have for a car & engine,, than wait to see the Oil discussion start!!! LOL Roger
Oh it has already commenced my friend.

5 Winter weight 30 operating weight is already the best, since that is what the manufacturer recommends based on the internal clearances of your engine.
If you used 10w-30 supposing that you would be starting off with an oil thickness closer to the recomended operating thickness, you would start out with faster oil flow but less than needed oil pressure. Sounds like a mute point I know. But it's not. Engine oil not only lubricates, it also acts as a hydrostatic bearing. And that is were pressure vs. flow comes in.
And I'm talking idealistally here of course. We've all had old cars that got whatever oil they got and didn't seize up, they had oil so they ran! Newer engine designs of course might require a bit more of that idealism!

True synthetic oil (Group IV and V) will provide it's rated viscosity characteristics from cold to operating temperature simply by its own nature.
While regular oil depends on additives to accomplish this, and additives break down.
But the main debate that persists on that is that if you stick to your oil change interval, regular oil is still going to provide protection, and using synthetic just allows you to defer maintainance.
I like to use synthetic. Since I am unable to stick to a schedule.

Old 02-21-10, 07:16 PM
different kinds of oil

I use only synthetic because that was in the cars when then. I do stretch out the change interval, which cuts the cost premuin down a bit.

My 1995 Corvette came with synthetic oil and I continued to use it without a hint of a problem when I sold it at 82,000 miles. Driven only in the spring, summer and fall for obvious traction problems cause by the wide tires.

My 1999 Jimmy 4WD SUV was bought at 22,000 miles from GM and it was an executives wife's car and it only used synthetic since it was made. I now have 140,000 miles and not a hint of anything wrong or not sounding different. I also stretched the change interval a bit and have never seen the oil level drop on the dipstick between changes. Driven in highly variable temps from -40F to +100F. The only problem with the car is the light, flimsy front end suspension.

I also change the filter along with the oil.

Dick

Old 02-22-10, 04:46 AM
Group Moderator
RUN FOR YOUR LIVES; IT'S ANOTHER OIL THREAD!!!

Sorry, lost my mind for a second, but you might want to do an archive search here for previous threads on the subject; we've had a number of lively discussions in the past.

Old 02-26-10, 08:34 PM
you should have no problem switching back and forth. Adding a quart of mineral oil to a crankcase full of synthetic will be fine.

Old 02-27-10, 05:36 AM
dino vs synth

I'm a fan of synth oil, but I won't put synth in an old engine. An oft disputed claim that synth oil can be a problem in old vehicles has bitten me twice. It seems that synth oil finds ways to seep around marginal gaskets more easily than standard oil of the same weight. An engine that may have gone some more hours on standard oil may (as has happened to me) leak like crazy after moving to synth, and it can't be un done. Switching back, after the synth has snaked it's way around my aged gaskets and seals, doesn't resolve the ills.
I'm not sure how rare this condition is, but after 2 costly events, I'll steer clear of synth in a hi mile motor.

Old 02-27-10, 08:15 AM
sync

I hace a 44 yr old snowblower sears [ariens,tecumseh],
a 23 year old boat [350 chevy] original eng, and two vehicles, and other assorted mowers etc, abd I have been using synt oil for about 20 years and have had virtually had no trouble with any of my stuff.
Sid

Old 02-27-10, 10:24 AM
The *king* of oil knowledge is the following link.
Welcome