2001 Ford Taurus Flex Fuel

Old 02-21-10, 11:39 AM
2001 Ford Taurus Flex Fuel

We're back to my friend 2001 Ford Taurus Flex Fuel. Do I have to drop the tank to get to the fuel pump or is there an access cover under the rear seat? Any info would greatly be appreciated.

Sponsored Links
Old 02-21-10, 02:41 PM
Sorry Corey,, Yes you do have to remove the tank on the Taurus to get the pump out,, I worked @ a dealer & lived thru 100's of rental & fleet units with the defective fuel level sender unit... Roger

Old 02-21-10, 02:50 PM
Super Moderator
Jeez...no way I'd do that work if the problem is a sender...thats what a notepad and an odometer are for...lol.

Old 02-21-10, 05:48 PM
I wish it were just the sender unit. I'd tell him to use notepad and paper lol. I saw a hack i can do under the rear set to make it easy to make your own access cover. if anyone wants the link you cam PM me and I'll send the link over. God I don't wanna replace his fuel pump...Hate this car.

Old 02-21-10, 05:53 PM
Originally Posted by Gunguy45 View Post
Jeez...no way I'd do that work if the problem is a sender...thats what a notepad and an odometer are for...lol.
So I'm not the only one who noticed this weird new reference.
I guess when the fuel pumps moved to the gas tank and had the fuel level sender attached, the whole fuel pump became a "fuel sender."

Cory I see you've already seen the "Phoenix Project" site.

Old 02-21-10, 07:48 PM
Yup I've seen the "Phoenix Project" site. Not sure on how i want to accomplish the feat yet though. Don't know If I wanna just drop the tank, or make the access cover. I hear that on the FF Taurus, it is common for the fuel pump to go bad. So I might just make the access cover.

Old 02-21-10, 07:52 PM
When you work for a dealer,, If the owner complains about his fuel gage being erratic, & there is a service bulliten on the sending units,,you can't tell him to get a paper & pen LOL,, We had to ""Fix It Right The First Time"".. & under warranty Ford paid the Tech about 0.7 hrs to do it.. You have to learn to bite the bullet @ times Now you know why I'm an Operator @ a nuclear plant.. Less hazards than cars.....Roger