1999 Mits Mirage transmission dip stick ?

Old 02-21-10, 07:36 PM
1999 Mits Mirage transmission dip stick ?

I've tried to locate the transmission dip stick on this V4 manual transmission car without success. Does it have one ? I even looked up an exploded view of under the hood components in a book but there is no mention of a transmission dip stick. I'm assuming it should have one somewhere so that transmission fluid can be checked just as engine oil. What am I missing ?

Sponsored Links
Old 02-21-10, 07:51 PM
It is probably an inspection bolt on the top or side of the trans axle unit, especially since it's a manual transmission I wouldn't think it would be low on fluid unless it's leaking.

Old 02-22-10, 04:40 AM
Group Moderator
Not sure I've ever seen a manual trans with a dipstick; the inspection bolt/filler as cory describes is the standard. Nowadays even a fair anumber of auto trannies are foregoing a dipstick.

Old 02-22-10, 08:10 AM
To TG: Believe it or not, I had a 1986 Chevy Sprint that had a manual and did indeed have a dipstick to check the oil in the transmission.

Last edited by crazycory22; 02-22-10 at 08:11 AM. Reason: changed wording
Old 02-22-10, 02:38 PM
Group Moderator
Don't know if this is true or not, but my thinking is that a manual trans is meant to be a more or less closed system inasmuch as it does not have a filter, i.e. any impurities introduced via an opening in the system (like a dipstick) could be detrimental to the tranny unlike an automatic where at least you have a filter.

Search this Thread