Can I wait on replacing the Intake Manifold Gasket

Old 02-22-10, 10:41 AM
Can I wait on replacing the Intake Manifold Gasket

I have a 2000 Buick Century that is losing coolant and the mechanic recommends replacing the intake manifold gasket. The problem is that I just put a lot of money into the car at inspection time and will have trouble affording another expensive fix at this time. Also, am considering replacing the car, as it is needing almost constant repair at this point.
If I make sure I keep the coolant level regulated and wait on replacing the gasket, will it ruin my car? The leaking coolant is not showing up in the engine oil. Thx.

Sponsored Links
Old 02-22-10, 09:58 PM
It's a real common thing on those motors of that era.Sounds like your fortunate enough to have the leak external for now.It won't improve with age but if still minor you may have 2 to 4 months depending on miles driven before it becomes a big problem its still pretty cool out right now but when the temp goes up.You get the idea wish I had better news for ya but dexcool is the culprit it protects for 100 k but starts getting acidic after about 60 to 70 k and the intake gasket is a silicon and steel,

Old 02-23-10, 04:13 AM
Group Moderator
The risk, of course, is in having it become undriveable at the most inconvenient time before you get it fixed.

Old 02-23-10, 07:45 AM
i had a negative experiance with dexcool caused by a leak and later when water was mixed in it turned to a jelly like substance. I would drain and flush the crap our of my engine if it were me. I put normal coolant in the car as a replacement and never had a problem since. There are many posts about the substance and the damage it causes. My heater core became plugged and a dealer wanted 1600 to replace it. I disconnected the hoses and flushed a large wad from the core and it worked again. I flushed it in reverse flow from water flow.
Bill

Old 02-24-10, 02:37 AM
The risk, of course, is in having it become undriveable at the most inconvenient time before you get it fixed.

i agree, i suggest have it replaced now before it affects other parts and create bigger problems for you in the future.

Old 02-25-10, 06:53 AM
I don't have any specific knowledge of that motor, but another issue to keep in mind is a lean-burning condition - which you may or may not have (again, I'm not familiar with that motor in particular).

If air is also able to find its way into the motor past the leaky intake gasket, that could cause some cylinders to run leaner (and hotter than others). If enough air is leaking through, the computer may not be able to correct for it (based on input from the O2 sensor) and will likely set a trouble code/check engine light.

Worst case, a lean burning condition could cause knocking/pre-ignition and could damage the motor if it is severe enough. This of course assumes the engine doesn't have an effective knock control system, which it may

- Joe

Old 02-27-10, 03:54 PM
I lost an intake gasket on a '98 Pontiac 3.8 litre .... antifreeze got in the cylinder and hydrolocked the motor, when trying to start it the teeth tore off of the starter ring..... new motor time.

Lost an intake gasket on a '89 Chevy Camaro with a 2.8 litre.... antifreeze ran down into the lifter valley and into the oil pan. Fortunately we caught it quick enough and flushed the motor with Marvel Mystery Oil, we got another 20K on it before we sold it. Antifreeze and bearings don't play well together.

IMO... don't wait, it can only be bad if it goes internal. If it stays external you could overheat. You didn't say what motor you have but bad things happen to motors when they overheat.

Do yourself a favor... dump the Dexcool what you fix it, that stuff is trouble. I know exactly what you mean financially, I just put $600 in a fuel pump and regulator on a car that I didn't want to put any money in. Couldn't drive it, couldn't sell it like that.... had to bite the bullet.

Search this Thread