97' Isuzu Rodeo - Frustrated

Old 02-23-10, 06:20 AM
97' Isuzu Rodeo - Frustrated

Greetings -

I have a 97' Isuzu Rodeo, this is the issue that i have, replaced the alt with new Bosch one, not counting 2 from junk yard and rebuilt one. I have a brand new battery after replacing the 2 with bad cells. This issue is that it will run and charge from alt for hours then, with out reason alt stop charging and batttery drains and i am back a square one. I now think it is something with the computer sending the signal to the alt for it to stop charging period. Any thoughts? Please Help.

Sponsored Links
Old 02-23-10, 10:44 AM
If you have a separate voltage regulator, replace that.

Then other than that, have you added anything electrical to the vehicle? Any do-it-yourself electrical work that you or a previous owner did?

If there is something which draws a lot of electricity (amperage), like a "neighborhood blasting boom boom super stereo", this could be overloading the capacity of the alternator.

The computer(s) should have nothing to do with this.

Then testing an electrical system is done with a multimeter...

How to use a multimeter...
how to use a multimeter on a car - Google Search

And an amp meter to measure how much electricity (amperage) is being used. The amp meters they sell in auto parts stores would only be good for a model-T as they are only 10 amps capacity! Modern alternators can be 100 amps. Here is 600 amp AC/DC amp meter (cars DC)...
Amazon.com: Sheffield Research/GTC CM600 AC/DC Amp Clamp Digital Meter - 600 Amps: Automotive

Old 02-23-10, 11:31 AM
Thanks for the response. It is really weird. I had some fog lights and such, they are long gone though. I have taken most of the wiring out as well as making sure that there are no bare ends.

I thought I had put this issue to bed Saturday, I put a new battery in and started right up, let it run for about 45 minutes. shut it off. Started it again and let it run for 2 hrs 25 minutes, worked flawlessly. Turned it off came back out ran it for an hour. came back yesterday ran it for about 40 minutes BAMM...issue has returned, every time i get her started she would run for about 20 minutes and then shut down. I do not know what else to do....

Old 02-23-10, 06:36 PM
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
And this can be repeated over and over, say if the car has been shut off for a while?

If you try to restart the car immediately thereafter, will you get a click sound, or nothing?

I have to presume that the car does not crank, based on what you are focusing on. But I do not know how much you know about cars. Because if say it ran and shut off, it could be something entirely different - like a crank position sensor or even a bad fuel pump - to mention something both electrical and fuel related. Fuel pumps can stop working, then start up again after the car sits. Crank position sensors can also allow you to get to your destination, then not allow you to get the car to fire up (it will crank though), until say the car has sat for 20 minutes, and then it may fire off and go again.

When the car shuts off, what do the brightness of your head lights look like? Weaker than normal, or about the same brightness?

Have you used a voltmeter on the battery to see if indeed the voltage steadily drops to where then it shuts off - and then the volts come back up all by itself(as a good battery can recharge itself, especially in warmer weather, to a degree).
You said nothing about jumping the car to get it to start once it ran out of juice, so that is my presumption.

Old 02-24-10, 05:25 AM
THe issues are not with starting or even fuel related. The issue is that the alt will charge the battery and all the electrical items then stops. Basically the battery drains after a period of time, mean while the alt gauge on dash shows charging, then tone of motor changes and alt stops charging battery and accessories, car dies.

Old 02-24-10, 06:55 PM
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
When it dies in 20 minutes, can it immediately start right back up?

Old 02-25-10, 12:46 PM
charging issue

whats your voltage at the battery? both with the car off and on ...also measure it with the car on and rev it up slowly see if it peaks at a certain voltage this will tell you if the volatge regulator is working, usually peaks out around 2000 rpm..then you can work from there...

Old 03-02-10, 02:00 PM
Sorry about the delay in response got pummeled with snow. Anyway...when it dies after 20 minutes it usually means that the alt stopped charging and it was running off battery. I can usually tell when it stops charging as the pitch of the motor running changes then gauge on the dash goes from 11.7 to buried in the 0 mark.

Old 03-02-10, 02:03 PM
I beleive 11.7 volts of battery both in and out of Rodeo...